Chapter Seventeen

Kayla woke up in a different room from the metal closet. She remembered the door opening from behind, and someone had grabbed her and stuffed a rag in her mouth. The rag doused with chloroform or some other knockout drug had sent her back to dreamland. Someone moved her into this new room while she was unconscious. She looked around to find that her accommodations were much improved. There were sparse furnishings this time. She discovered she was lying in the middle of a canopy bed with expensive linens and pillows. A small dressing table was across the room with a matching chair with an empty spot where the mirror should have been. On the tabletop were a plastic jug of water and a matching cup. There were no windows in the room, but a nearby door was open, and Kayla moved forward on the bed to get a better angle at looking inside. Even in the dim light, from the glow of a bedside lamp, she could see that it was a sparse bathroom with a bathtub, sink, and toilet. Kayla got up from the bed, shrugged off the black winter coat she had been wearing, laid it on the duvet cover, and walked towards the bathroom to freshen up. She flicked up the switch on the wall to illuminate the room and noticed that, like the dressing table, the mirror was missing from the bathroom vanity.

While in the bathroom, she took the time to splash some cold water on her face and dry off with a fluffy towel hanging on the towel bar. She heard the click of the lock on the bathroom door. She turned and tried it. The door seemed bolted closed. "Let me out!" She pleaded, banging against the door. She heard footsteps move around the room. The footsteps then approached the door again. The lock clicked back open, and as Kayla grabbed for the doorknob, the footsteps made a hasty retreat running across the room, and she heard the main door slam. She opened the bathroom door, found a food tray with yogurt, fresh fruit, a stack of piping hot pancakes with maple syrup, and orange juice on the vanity table, and noticed the water level of the plastic jug was higher. 

Ava's people were making sure that she would not starve to death. Also, in the room was a paper shopping bag by the chair. Kayla went over to investigate. She opened the bag and found some clothing in her size. Ava was trying to make her as comfortable as possible, and it looked like she needed to prepare herself for an extended stay. Kayla was usually an assertive woman. This was not her first time in a hostage situation, but she was petrified that she would not see Steve for a long time. When she finally saw each other, she was even more afraid of the ramifications of what he may have to do to get her out of her captivity may be life-altering for them both.

Stephanie returned to the Kiriakis mansion after seeing Steve. She texted Joey after saying goodbye to Papa and asked Joey to meet her at the manor later in the afternoon. Initially, Stephanie intended to spend her Saturday in the middle of wedding plans, but with Mama missing, worry over the situation, and her Papa's situation had taken over her thoughts.

Victor found Stephanie sitting on the sofa in the living room when he shuffled into the room. "Stephanie," Victor said. "I didn't expect to see you here today. I thought you would be busy with plans for the wedding."

"Victor, there may not be a wedding," Stephanie replied. Victor looked surprised, but Stephanie's words calmed his fears, "at least for a while. We have a major situation with the Johnson family."

Victor sat down in the winged chair closest to the fireplace and turned to address the young woman his son loved. "Anything I can do?"

"Yes, you may be able to help. I'm going to see if John can help," Stephanie took a deep breath before continuing. "Ava Vitali has kidnaped my Mama."

"That slippery eel of a woman is back in town?"

"Yes, and she has a tale to tell. She claims that she and Papa have a child together. Ava is holding Mama as a prisoner to get Papa to go and find him for her," she explained.