PROLOGUE

He was running under the heavy rain, panting and struggling to catch his breath. Exhausted and weak, he still pushed himself to escape from the bastards who had tried to assault him. Thankfully, he gathered all his strength to break free. He didn’t care if he got lost—his only thought was to escape and get as far away from that place as possible.

"HELP! HELP ME!" he shouted when he noticed a car coming his way.

He thought the car wouldn't stop because it was speeding, so he immediately blocked the road, spreading his arms wide.

"What the f*ck!" the driver angrily shouted, but thankfully, he stopped the car just in time.

"P-please help me," the man desperately pleaded. Unsure if help would come, he shuddered from both cold and fear. Mixed emotions overwhelmed him. He was crying, terrified. "S-someone was behind me and wants to hurt me," he stammered, hugging himself. His lips trembled from the cold.

"Let him in," a cold, low-toned voice came from behind the driver's seat. A man spoke, and the driver opened the door for him to enter.

He quickly got inside the car and was stunned by what he saw. In front of him, he felt something colder than the snow—a chilling gaze fixed on him. He was already cold, but now he felt even colder, shuddering in fear, unable to open his mouth to thank the man in front of him.

"Take this," a low, deep, husky voice suddenly echoed in his head.

He suddenly felt a blanket placed over his shoulders. It was so smooth that he hadn't even noticed when the man put it on him.

He felt relieved, but at the same time, it triggered his trauma.

He was surprised by the sudden change in the atmosphere inside the car. The ambiance felt dangerous. The car was too dark, with only a dim light, making it impossible for him to see the person in front of him. He couldn't make out the man's face, but based on what he felt, the person seemed colder than ice. It also felt like the man was wearing something on his face. His presence was strange and intimidating, yet somehow, he felt a sense of security. Despite the tension, he didn't feel uncomfortable—in fact, he felt oddly safe by the man's side. It was a new feeling for him, and his heart raced, unsure of why he suddenly felt this way. It was unfamiliar, but undeniable.

He seems dangerous, but why do I feel safe? he wondered at the back of his mind.

"T-thank you, sir. I’m sorry f—"

The driver cut him off before he could finish.

"Where do you live so we can take you there?" The driver asked.

"Mr., there's only one street named Falcon X. I stayed there. Please drop me off," he replied, still shuddering from the cold. His face was pale, not only from the cold but also from fear, remembering the alphas who had chased him.

A moment later, the car stopped in front of an old apartment.

"Here we are, sir," the driver said, opening the door for him to step out.

As the door opened, he glanced at the man one last time before leaving the car. Unexpectedly, a feeling of loneliness and emptiness washed over him. He didn’t know why he felt that way—it was strange, as he'd never experienced this before.

"Thank you again, sir. I don't know how to repay your kindness, but I hope you'll accept my thanks," he said, bowing to show his respect and gratitude to the man who had saved him from danger.

"Call me Mr. Lee," the man in the front said in a low, cold voice. The driver was taken aback after hearing it. He had been the butler for so long, and he knew his boss well.

His boss never gave his name to just anyone. Even if you were his friend or colleague, you wouldn’t know his other name—only a select few did. He was known as the "Man of the Dark," a powerful mafia leader who controlled the largest organization across 12 countries. He had not only maintained these organizations but built them himself, earning the respect of everyone around him.

"I’m Liam, sir. I hope we’ll meet again, and maybe next time, I’ll be able to help you or repay your kindness," Liam said, still cold and shivering.

"Well then, Mr. Liam, we must go," the driver said as he closed the door.

Liam watched the car drove away until it disappeared from his view. A sudden feeling of emptiness filled him, his chest felt so heavy, as if he could burst into tears.

"I felt relieved when I got inside. That man's presence made me feel safe," he muttered to himself.