chapter 4 - forest fire

a/n: i'm sorry i have been sooo slow with updates, my marauders fic was my primary focus for a lil while and then i had a lot going on in my life but i want to spend more time on this fic cuz i've been rlly liking writing it !! (and rewatching wolfblood ahaha) well-- hope u enjoy the chapter, i've already started writing chapter 5 so hopefully the wait won't be v long. thanku to anyone who has been waiting :))) <3

chapter summary: Jana and Robyn's conversation takes a turn for the worst.
word count: 2647

"Th- there is nothing-" she started, but the words dissolved on her tongue like sherbet, fizzling away and leaving behind the bitter flavour of panic to linger there.

Where was the Robyn that never faltered, the Robyn that always managed to keep people out? shouted the sane part of her brain, fully aimed at the rest of it that had seemingly turned to mush. Stuttering, she was stuttering, and she hated every cracked word of it.

"There is nothing going on between us," she snarled through gritted teeth, the words finally rumbling out of her with at least half the amount of malice she'd intended. "Never has, never will be."

Rage permeated every bone in her body, every muscle of her jaw clenched so tightly it could snap, because everything was piling up before her, all the reasons why she should be angry lining themselves up in her mind before she could stop them. It was dangerous to let that rage accumulate, and she knew it.

She needed to get rid of Jana, because at the very root of it, if she completely ignored Katrina (because this definitely wasn't about her and Jana was definitely lying), Jana was there. Jana had been the one to follow her out of the Kafe, Jana had been the one to cooerce her out of her peaceful wolf form, Jana had been the one to interrogate her with accusations that were so far from true that Robyn almost wanted to laugh. Because her and Katrina? There was nothing to say about the matter, no elaborations to be made.

There was simply nothing more than companionship strung between them. Platonic companionship. After all, Katrina was human, and that was enough to automatically set them apart at least a little bit.

Jana said nothing, adopting an unreadable expression, an infuriatingly unreadable expression. It only pushed Robyn further towards the outburst of fury she was trying to avoid, nudging her closer and closer towards a precipice that overlooked a pit of all that she kept locked in the deepest crevices of herself. She was trying to dig her heels in but it was no use; each passing moment under her scrutiny was another gentle shove and she found herself instinctively hunching over, steadily easing downwards, her chest rapidly rising and falling.

"You're wrong!" she snarled between gasps of breath, wondering how it was possible for the silence to be so loud, so suffocating, and breaking it herself. Something was creeping towards the surface, and any efforts to force it to retreat did nothing more than delay it's stalking of her human form. It was ready to pounce, raring to leap upon it and take control. "You don't-" she choked out, falling to her knees, hands curling into fists in the leaves beneath her. "You don't know- don't kn-know- anything."

And at last, it pounced.

This time the transformation was far less smooth, and more like a cord finally snapping from the tension of being pulled taught for far too long, the reshapement and contortion of her muscles and bones an almost instantaneous change; the wolf had been waiting, too far beyond agitated to be held back, that no different of an outcome could've been expected.

Faced now with the large wolf, growling and snapping it's jaws, Jana seemed momentarily alarmed, but regarded Robyn with something bordering on exasperation. Angering her even more, even the wolf noticed that the pity she hated so much was still clinging on.