The Talisman

Chapter 5:

“There’s a voice in my head telling me why I should hate you, but I hate myself instead. There’s a pair of dead eyes in the mirror looking back at me, I guess it’s wrong to live.”

-Alcohol and Altar Boys by Bayside

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 Months Left

                I awoke feeling stiff, my back resting on something rough and lumpy, not knowing when, I registered it as being a couch. Without hesitation I opened my eyes, taking in my surroundings. I was residing inside of Lucas’ apartment. When I tilted my head towards the right, I caught a glimpse of the girl he’d stumbled in with. Her face wore a mask of concern while her body shivered with anticipation.

                Just the sight of her wracked my body with fear, leaving me perplexed in its wake. Her piercing gaze stung me in waves. She slowly began narrowing her eyes to slits, my eyes narrowing involuntarily in unison. Eventually I drifted back into the darkness.

~*~

                A cool towel kissed my forehead, slowly waking me. A familiar voice cooed in my ear, causing me to snap my eyes open.

                “Lucas,” I breathed, my voice hoarse.

                He gently shushed me, tenderness seeping through his voice. I just squeaked in protest, trying to get up. With an authoritative but gentle hand, he pushed me back down onto the bed.

                “Are you feeling better?” He inquired, clearly getting agitated.

                “Yeah, and I don’t need your help.” I spat back, annoyed.

                He just sighed and got up, and turned to the door. Before making his leave he began to murmur something about the glass of water by my bedside, I frowned at this remark, not bothering to reach for it. Almost as if he knew my reaction, he sighed heavy-heartedly once more, and exited the room in one swift movement. As soon as the finalizing click of the door rang through the room, I buried my face into my hands. The sight of him with that girl was overwhelming, tears threatened to roll down my face in a sea of angst.

                A jumble of voices began whispering next to my room, the whispers slowly became shouts, which lead to the rapid clicking of stilettos on the cool linoleum floor. All of this came together in a grand finale; the front door slamming shut.

                Pain ran through my skull, pressing at it in a grotesque manner. A small cry of panic at the intense pain left my lips, and almost immediately Lucas came barging into the room. Gone were the clouds that once veiled his eyes, as they were now dissipated, and in their wake was nothing but the pure gaze of concern.

                “Juliana,” he whispered hoarsely, his hesitant hand reaching out for me tenderly. I shook my head sharply and rose, pushing him back. My head spun and spots appeared in my vision, but I just ignored them and began striding towards the door. I heard him yell my name in protest, but the moment I passed the threshold of the apartment, my feet began pounding against the wooden floor as I fled the complex.

                If there were any, the sounds of his steps following me were drowned out by the pouring rain. Tears seethed from me as sobs shook my body with a violent force. I wanted to scream in agony as I came to the realization that I was truly, utterly, and explicitly in love with Lucas.