𝚡𝚒𝚒

as ginny and carrie were closing up shop, bucky speaks up. "i'll walk you two home?" he offers with a kind smile and a tilt of his head.

"that sounds great." ginny smiles back and looks over at carrie, who is nervously biting her lip.

she notices them looking at her and changes her expression in a split second, like she's hiding something. "actually," she points towards the door and start walking away. "i've gotta run a quick errand."

"in the middle of the night?" steve asks skeptically. "it could be dangerous for you to walk back by yourself."

she laughs a bit. "i can take care of myself, stevie. besides," she cocks a brow. "look who's talking."

he just rolls his eyes. "just be careful."

bucky leans over to ginny's ear. "just be careful, my love." and laughs under his breath.

she joins in. "i'll be ever so careful for you, lover boy." they both crack up and steve glares at them softly. she clears her throat. "vamanos, muchachos."

they drop steve off at his apartment on their way. bucky slings his arm around ginny in a friendly way, and they continue on.

ginny looks up at him sadly. "i wish you weren't leaving."

"so do i. but the country needs soldiers to protect what we have. and i'm willing to put my life on the line to do that. it's only a year." he says.

"a year seems too long." she sighs.

"belive me, i know. but if no one else will, i've got to do it."

they're interrupted by two loud gunshots, that sound really close. virginia freezes, and buck's eyes go wide, searching the streets. in the light of the streetlamp, they see a running figure on the other side of the road. ginny's apartment is two blocks up, so the pair sprint towards it. they get inside and slam the door.

"oh shit!" virginia realizes. "carrie's by herself!" her breathing is uneven, and nervous.

bucky takes a deep breath. "she knows what to do. i believe in her."

they look at each other and ginny speaks up. "stay here tonight? please?"

"of course, of course i will." he smiles weakly and embraces her in a tight hug.

"also," she smiles sadly up at him. "maybe you'll become the next superman out there on the battlefield."

bucky laughs. "maybe i will."