[15] (un)predictable

3x01Seed

3x01
Seed

A knife lodged itself into the tree, in between two other ones. Then another one. And another one. And another one. An almost perfect row formed symmetrically with each sharp object that landed next. Finally, two knives landed on the tree at the same time.

Liz breathed in proudly and walked towards the tree to remove the weapons. It had been weeks and weeks of practising. In the beginning, Daryl had mostly taught her several techniques and positions to throw, but quickly, she started figuring out ways of throwing —not without failing when the knife fell on the floor or hurting herself at times— now, she could hit moving targets and could throw more than one knife at a time.

Strapping the knives to their respective places around her thighs and waist, she walked back to the spot next to Daryl where they were keeping watch in the dark. She had taken off a few minutes after two hours of quiet.

"That looked good," he complimented stepping on the cigar he had thrown to the floor after seeing her walking back. She'd never mentioned it before but he could tell she became stiff whenever he took out his pack of cigarettes and started smoking, he thought maybe the smell bothered her but the smell of cigarettes clung to him like a second skin and hadn't given any indication of discomfort about it.

He'd asked if she had a problem, but she denied it, though the uneasiness in her eyes was still there and she barely seemed to breathe as she looked away every time he smoked, so he began doing it when she wasn't around.

Liz had noticed but hadn't said anything. She thought that maybe he'd seen the marks on her arms but she barely wore any sleeveless or short-sleeved shirt around him, or anyone, especially now with the cold weather, so he couldn't have known. She appreciated his gesture nonetheless, surprised that he noticed about her discomfort, though she shouldn't have been, there was only so little Daryl ever missed.

She cranked her neck up slightly looking to her side to gaze at him. "Yeah? Thanks. Didn't slice anything this time," she smiled tight-lipped, touching the healing cut on her palm. "Since I'm already getting better at knife throwing... maybe you could let me use the crossbow?"

He looked at her blankly then went back to staring at the woods letting out some sort of snort, the group was inside the cabin behind them.

"Hell nah."

"Oh come on, what happens if I ran out of knives and the only thing I can use is your crossbow and I don't know how to shoot it."

"That's your fault then," he said mist forming in front of his mouth due to the low temperature.

"Thanks a lot."

"Welcome."

She sent him an annoyed expression that he mocked with an unamused one, nudging her elbow, which raised the corner of her lips slightly, only slightly.