[01] impressions

1x03
Tell it to the Frogs

Liz's hand was moving carefully as she coloured the eyes of the drawing trying to get the correct shade of her father's eye colour

Liz's hand was moving carefully as she coloured the eyes of the drawing trying to get the correct shade of her father's eye colour. If she had looked into a mirror perhaps, she would've had a clearer picture of what she was trying to accomplish. She, her father and brother shared the same eyes.

Sighing she let go of the pencil and looked at her work. It was good, but she knew no matter how well she drew her father it would never come close to his real face. 

She had pictures of him to stare at but drawing him was an attempt of remembering every trace of his face so she wouldn't forget the tiniest bit. It had only been two months since her father was shot and went into a coma, a bit less since Shane, her dad's best friend and something close to an uncle, told her he was dead.

Ever since, she had been clinging to every memory, scared that if she didn't do so she'd forget him, his voice, his laugh, everything.

Leaving her work in a folder with other drawings and paintings of hers she grabbed the belt of knives she had found in one of her runs to Atlanta and got out of the tent she shared with her brother and Lori, his mother and her father's wife. She was greeted by the calmness of the camp at the quarry, Dale, a middle-aged man was up in his RV watching over the camp, as usual, the kids were playing, and the rest of the people were attending to their choirs. The only group of survivors she had encountered ever since the outbreak.

Days after her father had been shot, a virus had rapidly extended throughout the whole population, it made people die and come back to life, no longer as yourself but as a flesh-eating monster. A bite or a scratch of the infected made you turn into one of them. This is why they were now miles away from the city, where they were safe. The camp was formed not much later after her family fled their hometown.

They had been surviving together ever since.

She and Glenn, a really nice guy about her age that she could consider a friend, were the ones who went to the city to bring supplies, much to Lori and Shane's dismay. This time had been the first that she hadn't gone with him, as the camp decided to send a team instead of a couple. After a lot of pleads from Lori and orders from Shane she had agreed to stay back but was now growing insane for not having anything to do.

So, to pass the time productively, she had decided to go into the woods to practice her knife-throwing skills, if she was lucky maybe she'd find fruit or nuts, something to bring back to the camp.

"Carl!" she called to her brother who had been playing with Sophia. The twelve-year-old excused himself from his friend running over to his big sister, failing to see the knives she was hiding, only seeing the bottle of water and a small backpack.

"Hey, Izzie."

"Hey, I'm going out for a while, maybe won't come back until tomorrow morning," she said. "I just wanted to let you know."