The Big Day

Harshil's POV

I woke up at 7. I had no problem in waking up so early( that was very unlike me) as I had barely slept the previous night. I helped myself to a cup if coffee and quickly went through the paper. I was happy to know that Manchester United had won another match against arch rivals Chelsea. I had a shower and put on my jersey before telling mom that I was leaving. I slipped into my sneakers and waved my mom good bye and took her blessings. On my way I picked up Reva and Jennie who were already ready and were waiting on the road for me. We were on the ground at 8:15 . As no one had reached as yet so we took a seat in the stands. There was no one there to check whether we had tickets or not which was strange as all the previous years there had been strict checking for the tickets. Another match was going on and we got busy in watching that match and removing the pros and cons of their each move. One of the team made many fruitless forays into the opponents penalty area and at the end of the match they lost by a goal. And suddenly a water balloon came and landed on my shoulder. I groaned in pain and turned around to see Kush and Soham laughing their hearts out and the girls joined them by just looking at my face. That's how my friends are!

Soon everyone had assembled with all of them bringing along with them friends and mostly girls. I changed into my flats and lead the warm up session for about 15 minutes.

"Captain of the Red Devils please come to the officials table immediately." The person on the mike announced. I quickly asked as to what to choose if we won the coin toss. I also asked as to if we lost the toss and needed to chose the side which should be taken . The side which had a shadow over it was decided. The majority favoured to take the start. I told the playing 11 and said with a hard heart that Shyam, Shubham, Harsh,and Aman were substitutes. I promised to let them play in the next match ( if we won this match)

And with that I took off towards the officials table and shook hands with the captain of Hell Rockers who turned out to be my friend Neelay. I won the toss and choose to start the match. As luck had it Neelay choose the side without the shade. Then we were to have a word with the referee.

He said " Listen boys, I don't want any rough play or foul language. Play nice. Another important thing is that this match is of 2 halves of 15 mins each. You see those people in suits sitting next to the officials at the officials table, they are selectors from Manchester United soccer school. They are selecting players for their under 16 team. So all the best and play well to be selected. Your team has 5 minutes to line up at the half way line." And with that the referee left. My heart was racing on hearing that I had a chance of being selected to play for Manchester United!

I broke this news with enthusiasm to all the players who had taken a seat with the girls in the stands. I told them to line up and was about to follow them when Reva pulled me aside and said " If you lose this match you will lose your head. Go and show them whose the boss and don't forget to get selected for your club. All the best." She said all this as if it she was telling me to go for a walk in the park. She had worn a t-shirt saying 'GO RED DEVILS' and a jeans. She all of a sudden kissed me on the cheek and pushed me towards the field.

*********************************************************************************
Harshil'POV

And the referee blew the whistle and started the game changer of my life.

We had decided to keep the possession of the ball and to pass the ball throughout the field. The main attack plan was that when ever the ball came to me, I was to do all the different tricks and try to score a goal. Basically I was the playmaker of the team a role which Messi played. And the plan for the defenders was very simple, just to clear the ball with all their might. And in the second minute of the game the ball came to me and I was off in a flash. I tricked the first defender with a simple dummy move and the second with a nutmeg( removed the ball from between his legs) and sprinted off like a lighting bolt. I was clear off most of the players and had a clear shot at the goal and took it. The ball went like a bullet past the goalkeeper into the top right hand corner. GOAL! And I had put my team in the riding seat within 5 minutes of the game starting. The entire stadium erupted with cheer for my goal and a quick glance at the selectors told me that they were also impressed with my skills.