4 || Within the Institute of Magic

It has been a week since your first real life case. Through out the week, the detective had simply consulted you in psychological analyses in past cases he had handled. Today however, Almond hauls you to the Parfaedia Institute for magical safety handling protocols the M.E.H had required the institute to have and practice. Your duty was to help him inspect the place for any safety hazards.

As you more or less struggle to keep up with Almond's fast paces, you try to keep an ear to what he was saying. "The institute is a perfect place for you to witness how curious these wizards are," He says as he walks, fast-paced. "The arcane, the oddities, sometimes even dark magic, anything can get the attention of these wizards and that's something you must keep in mind, when working for the M.E.H, got that?" Almond side glances at you, as you nod.

"If I may ask ,sir, why are we tasked with this?"

"The person in charge of this today is feeling unwell, and no else was free to take it up." Almond answers almost instantly, pleased that a trainee is bold to know things. The past trainees he'd have were far more less likely to ask, making them have difficulty in his line of work.

"Anyway, why is inspection important, rookie?" Almond asks you out of the blue.

You pause for a bit, eyes shifting in a gaze to think. "As the M.E.H, we snot only tasked to handle emergencies when it happens, but also prevent, sir."

"Uhuh," Almond nods. "We are to reduce and manage risk, do you understand?"

"Yes sir."

"It is our duty to keep up with magical institutes, to make sure that emergency protocols and requirements are followed twice a year. Why twice a year, why not once?"

"To keep up with the fast pace of magic, sir."

"Very good, rookie." You could see a faint smirk on the corner of his lips.

You softly managed a thank you.

You follow as he takes a sharp turn, shoulder to shoulder against the crowd. He begins to vanish from your line of sight as this part of the streets were immensely crowded. You try to make out where he went, when you feel someone grab your wrist firmly but gently. You look at the hand, and see the familiar lines of that hand and sleeve. You follow the arm up in a quick glance and see Almond, with an eyebrow raised. Your cheeks flush once more, feeling his warm hands on yours for a painfully brief moment.

"Almost lost you there." He says, then move his head, to a direction. He lets go of your hand.

"Sorry sir," You managed, moving your feet once more.

"Can't blame you," He says, "Its rush hour, and this is one of the most crowded places in the city." He smirks. You look up at him, staring at that handsome smirk he has on. Until he looks back at you. You avert your gaze and look in front trying not to be so obvious and suggestive.

"So you say, sir," You managed.

There was this silence, as he led you to the Gates, where thankfully it wasn't crowded anymore. From the distance you see the decorative trees, lush and vibrant. You see students mingling around the gates. "This is Parfaedia Institute," The detective stops just across the gates. You stop next to him with respectful distance. "This is where almost all students train and study to become wizards." Almond crosses his arms and moves his head facing you. "It also has the most insufferable and incompetent council I have ever met, " You hear him grunt. From his expression, it seemed he really didn't get along with this type of people, wizards.

"What makes you say that, sir?" You ask, and pause, "Er, if I may ask, of course." You quickly make up for that inkling of guilt you felt, scared that you might be asking too personal of questions.