Chapter 6

Dread weighs on my shoulders. 

The annual Rite Of Descension is drawing nearer with each passing minute. This is my least favorite part of the year. The Rite of Descension is the one time each year when Rex Lapis "descends from the sky to see the people of Liyue and help with their troubles", it is all fake. The real Rex Lapis is among them, and has been here for countless centuries. This year will be different. I have a plan, I will fake my own death. The people of Liyue will think that Rex Lapis is dead and will stop praying to me. I can't stand the responsibility. Its too much.

The first step is to write a letter, one single letter. To the Tsaritsa. I have heard that the Tsaritsa has decided to send her harbingers to collect the other archons' gnoses. Barbatos's has already been stolen. It won't be long before I am targeted. With my "death" being soon, I will not need my gnosis. 

I have written this letter to the Tsaritsa stating that I will give up my gnosis to her, if the harbinger she sends helps me to fake my death. Hu Tao knows as well what I am planning. She doesn't particularly like my plan, but she knows how important this is to me. 

The Tsaritsa agreed to the contract. She will aid in my scheme in return for the gnosis. 

The Rite Of Descension is in one week. I am heading to the Northland Bank, which is currently being run by the Fatui, to meet the 8th Harbinger. This harbinger will be the one to retrieve my gnosis after my "death". 

I step through the bank's door and am greeted by a tall woman. She had long blonde hair, lighter than sand, that reached down to her knees. The woman wore a white corset, tall black heels, a large furry cape, and a black mask over one of her eyes. 

"So, you must be Rex Lapis?" The woman said, taking a few steps toward me.

"That is me, who are you?" I stopped in front of her, my eyes locked with hers.

"I am La Signora, the 8th Fatui Harbinger. I am at your service, that is, if you uphold your end of the contract."

"I'm not the god of contracts for nothing." I replied.

Signora smirks.

"This death of yours, how will it play out?" 

                                                            . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The Rite Of Descension is upon us. At this very moment, civilians are crowding Yujing Terrace, awaiting the arrival of their archon. Millelith soldiers stand at every corner. I am watching from a distance, Hu Tao by my side.

"This is cruel Mr. Zhongli, but at least the funeral parlor will profit."

She never took her eyes off of the terrace. 

"And you'll get to rest."

I looked at the girl as she continued, then looked back at the Rite. I could faintly hear Lady Ningguang's voice as she welcomed the people of Liyue Harbor to the Rite Of Descension. As the Tianquan of the Liyue Qixing, it is Lady Ningguang's duty to carry out the Rite. She finishes speaking, and after a few moments a streak of gold shoots up into the sky. Clouds swirl in an almost cylindrical shape around the light emanating from the Rite.  The clouds begin to darken, I can sense the unrest among the people. Hu Tao stiffens, she looks straight ahead at Yujing Terrace. 

I see the brown and golden form of "Rex Lapis" fall from the sky, plummeting down to the terrace where it crushes the table of gifts. I can hear the frantic cries of the people, then Lady Ningguang shouting,

"Rex Lapis has been killed! Seal the exits!" 

I look down and Hu Tao starts to walk away from the railing.  My "death" went perfectly. I can rest.

                                                                 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

I stepped into Wangsheng Funeral Parlor. The first thing I see is Hu Tao, sitting at a table with six boxes of coffee sitting on the tabletop.

"Are you ready to begin preparations for the Rite Of Parting Mr. Zhongli?" 

I sighed and took the list of items needed for the Parting. The Rite Of Parting was to be held when Liyue's archon dies. This meant tat the preparations would be completely different from a normal funeral. It would take much longer to prepare and would require much more money to be spent. 

I look up at see Hu Tao walking toward the door.

"Where are you going? Shouldn't you be helping to prepare the Rite Of Parting?" I asked.

"I'm going to have lunch at Wanmin Restaurant with Yanfei. If my assistance is needed, I'll be there."

And with that, Hu Tao left. Recently her and Yanfei had been going to eat together and spending time with each other on long walks. They've gotten quite close. Yanfei is an adeptus, although she is much younger than Xiao or Ganyu. She doesn't use her adeptal power either. Instead, she works as lawyer. I  glance at he clock, I have a meeting with another Fatui Harbinger in fifteen minutes. This Harbinger does not know that I am Rex Lapis, his is unaware of the plan I made with La Signora and The Tsaritsa. This meeting will be very different. Instead of scheming, this meeting will be to plan out the Rite Of Parting's preparations. The Wangsheng Funeral Parlor is lacking in the money needed to hold the Rite. This Harbinger will be paying for items that are needed in the Rite. I quickly left the Funeral Parlor and headed to the Northland Bank. Inside the bank, I met a tall, ginger haired man. 

"Are you the Snezhnayan whom I'm here to meet? " 

"Indeed I am, you can call me Childe!" The man responded.

We exchanged words about the products that are needed for the Rite Of Parting.  As I began to leave, Childe called out to me.

"Mr. Zhongli, If you are able to make it I would like to see you for lunch tomorrow at Liuli Pavilion. I have another companion and I would like you to speak to them."

"In that case I'll be there."