Chapter 2

OLIVIA’S POV

Quietly I walked into the dinning area for lunch. As always I accepted my food, which I had no intention of consuming and began to make my way to my secluded table by the far wall. I was a mere ten feet from my table, when I froze. It wasn’t right. At the table a boy I’d never seen before sat alone, jabbing aimlessly at his food. He didn’t seem to take notice of me, nor did he notice the obscurity of sitting at the table. The table, which no one but me had sat at the whole time, I was there. People had always gone out of their way to avoid that table or anything having to do with me. I never minded it; in fact I preferred it. I stood frozen, my nervous fingers drumming the bottom of my tray for a few minutes hoping that maybe he’d move. But he never did. He just sat there, his shaggy brown hair masking his face. Eventually I couldn’t take it anymore. Pivoting on my heels, I chucked my food into the trash, nearly throwing out the tray with it. Without looking back, I stormed out of the room as fast as I could.  It wasn’t until I reached my room and forced myself against the door that I realized what I’d done. I’d basically ruined any chance I had at regaining my privileges. But it’s not my fault… He wasn’t supposed to be there. I began to shake, my fingers digging into my short hair. I pulled my bangs to cover my eyes and sighed. “Stupidstupidstupid.” I criticized roughly, tapping my head against the wall.

“Olivia would you mind sitting with the rest of the group?” Dr. Jacobs asked politely. Keeping my knees curled to my chest, I locked my fingers around the bottom rim of my metal chair. Blankly I shook my head. “Please Olivia?” he begged softly. With a sigh I scooted my chair into the circle of others, returning to my perch instantly. As I sat I could feel their cold stares on me, even if they weren’t exterior. I could feel their inner hate of me radiating off of them. That’s why I hated group therapy. I had to be around all the others who hate me, pretending to listen to their issues. I felt bad for them I really did. Each had their own problem and I really did want them to get better. Just because I disliked them didn’t mean I wanted them to suffer like I had. “Olivia Janet noticed that you weren’t at lunch today. Why is that?” he asked respectfully, much unlike Dr. Casey.

I shot Janet a light glare and shook my head. “It wasn’t my fault.” I said innocently.

“How so?”

My fingers drummed the bottom of the chair nervously, thinking back to the previous even. “Someone was at my table. No one sits there but me. He was making fun of me. He knew I sit alone.” I stammered, unable to get a clear thought across.

“Olivia I’m sure he wasn’t trying to make you nervous. Do you think maybe he didn’t understand that he was upsetting you?” I shook my head quickly.

“He knew.” I stated bluntly. “Everyone knows that’s my table.” I mumbled to myself.

“I saw him too.” Janet piped in, her long brown hair nearly covering her whole face. “I think he’s new. He wouldn’t talk to anyone.” She chirped brightly.

“Yeah.” An older boy, Jack, nodded. “He was weird. He just kinda sat there all day.” He remarked, cracking his knuckles. “The kid’s a freak.”

Freak…  something about the word. It was weird hearing it used on someone else. “Jack what have I told you about that kind of language?” Dr. Jacobs reminded sternly. Jack nodded and rolled his eyes, leaning back in his chair. For the rest of the meeting I couldn’t concentrate. I kept thinking back to the boy I’d seen and how the others referred to him as ‘weird’ and a ‘freak’.  What’s he in for? I couldn’t help but wonder. He didn’t look over 16, and it was rare that someone so young was admitted into the hospital. I was an exception even though I was only 15. Maybe he’s like me.

The next morning, like most days, I walked quietly into Dr. Casey’s office and sat in the chair across from her large desk. She stared sweetly over to me across the desk, her hand folded neatly in front of her. “Good morning Olivia.” She smiled. I nodded in response. “Olivia h-“

“You’re going to ask me about lunch.” I interrupted, looking her in the eyes. “The answer is no; I didn’t eat. Though you already knew that. I didn’t because a new boy was at my table, so I had nowhere to sit.” I froze for a second, Dr. Casey still absorbing what I’d said. Swallowing hard I continued. That kind of leads me to my first question.” I mumbled. Her brown eyes brightened with pleasure, since it was normally a struggle for me to talk to her, let alone ask her questions of my own. “Who is he and why is her here?” I asked bluntly, cocking my head to the side, so my bangs fell in front of my face.

I brushed my bangs to the side and stared intently awaiting her reply. “Well, I’m assuming the ‘new boy’ you mentioned was Eddie. He signed in yesterday morning.” She informed me calmly. “As for why he was admitted I’m afraid I can’t release that information to you. You should get to know him though. Maybe he’ll tell you when he’s ready.” I nodded disappointedly and looked down. “Do you have anymore questions or thoughts about what happened yesterday?” she asked. I shook my head, hardly listening. Eddie. His name repeated over and over in my head.

“What privileges do I lose?” I asked numbly.

Dr. Casey shook her head and smiled at me. “Just a warning. It doesn’t sound like you did it on purpose and Dr. Jacobs said you did very well in group therapy yesterday. I’m very proud of you Olivia. You may be out of here sooner than we thought. “ She said happily. I nodded again, unconvinced of anything she said. She’s lying. She always lies. But at the moment her lies were pushed to the back of my mind. The only thing I wanted to think about was the new boy. The ‘freak’. Eddie.