SIXTEEN

-

"So, how's the trip?"

Kelly's joyous voice makes me frown. If only she knew how exhausting it is to live with the one man who you always thought to be your nemesis — only to almost kiss him and even dream about him at night.

Since last night, the dream I had doesn't leave my brain. Nothing major happened. The scene of the rainstorm replayed, we rushed inside... This version ended with him actually kissing me. I am aware that it was only a dream, but if he kisses that well in real life... You will never find out, Charlie.

But I can't tell Kelly about that. She is sure of the fact that Sebastian is only rude to me because he is intimidated and attracted to me. So, naturally, I shouldn't tell her about that almost-kiss situation. Or that moment he grabbed a glass from the cabinet and I could practically feel his body heat on me. Or the fact that I don't feel opposed to feeling that way again.

"Ugh, the worst," I reply after some moments and a scoff. I lean against the porch's railing, letting my gaze drift over the lake. Sebastian is on the couch, working. As the door to the inside is closed, I am certain that he cannot hear me.

"That bad? Is Sebastian annoying you? Flirting?"

"Flirting," I scoff again, acting like I don't secretly wish he would. Maybe he already does and I don't see it? Does it matter? The guy's your co-worker and worst enemy. Stop thinking about that.

"So, he's just a pain in the ass?"

"Basically," I sigh, my empty hand following the wood's texture absently. The sun is almost about to set and the light reflects off the water's surface, blinding me every now and then. A slow, sluggish breeze goes through my hair and sways it a little. The cool feeling it leaves behind on my slightly sweaty face makes me close my eyes enjoyingly.

"Just teasing and insulting all day long, the usual," I add. Kelly laughs. I hear Chester meow — do I really miss this diva of a cat?

"Do you tease back?"

"Kelly," I groan, "I'm not a baby."

I pause.

"Of course I tease back."

Only half true, Charlie, at last, you feel your guts twist weirdly as soon as you look at him.

"So you're not secretly falling for that guy after being forced to live together?" Her tone is sarcastic, followed by a scoff, and still, I feel like she just hit a sensitive spot. My free hand now wraps around the railing and squeezes tightly until my knuckles turn white. If I don't bash this down, she will tease me about it forever. At this point, it's not even important if it's true or not.

"Please," I sigh, "I could never fall for him. I hate him, Kelly. He thinks he's so great, but he really isn't. I don't think I ever hated anyone as much as I hate him."

I hadn't realized my voice grew louder with every word. Only when I hear a cough that didn't come from me or Kelly, I slowly turn around.

Shit.

His jaw is clenched just like his hands — one of them in a fist, the other around a glass of OJ. I ask myself how much he heard, but actually, his reaction says it all. He's heard everything.

My gaze meets his as my hand slowly drifts down from my ear. I've never been as embarrassed as in this moment, I'm sure of it. My guts feel wrenched, my pulse is rapidly beating in my chest. I don't think I can move right now. Or say anything. Which, honestly, would be beneficial now.