- BONUS CHAPTER

{chapter 19, 20, and 21 from Sebastian's perspective.}

-

"My mother is fine," she says, and her voice sounds throaty as if she is holding back tears. I fight the urge to turn around and rush to her to wrap my arms around her and hold her until everything falls apart.

Because as crazy as it sounds, it's what I would want to do. I fell for this woman the second I walked into that office, and she thinks I hate her from the bottom of my heart. And for the sake of the promotion, I let her believe that. Also, if bickering is the only type of interaction I can get with her, I'll take it. So, I just stare at my screen and do nothing but hum in response to her.

I hear shifting. She's getting up. I hear her take a deep breath, and I am sure she looks magnificent while doing so.

"I'm really relieved," she adds into the silence. I feel the backrest of the couch dip as she leans against it. I know she's glaring at my screen showing the two-page document I haven't continued since two days ago. I just pretend to write while my thoughts circle around her.

"I can imagine that," I finally bring myself to say, still without looking away from my laptop. My fingers are cramping while hovering above the keyboard and I sincerely hope she doesn't notice.

"That's all you're going to say to that? After I slept in your arms last night?"

She sounds upset. Was I too cold toward her? All I can do since this morning is to shove my thoughts about her into the very back of my head. I wanted to know what it feels like to hold her for months. And now that I know how heavenly it feels, I want to do it again. Sure, this morning was slightly embarrassing for me, but it wasn't my fault. I wonder how long I can keep my guard up for her. How long I can continue to pretend that I'm not utterly in love with her.

Eventually, I turn around, trying to keep my face steady.

"Charlotte."

I like the way her name rolls off my tongue. She breaks the eye contact and holds up one hand in front of her eyes. Is she fighting back tears? My heart begins to ache. Every muscle in my body tells me to hug her.

"I don't care if you're embarrassed by what happened this morning or whatever, I just wanted at least some compassion from the one person I have to spend two weeks with."

She's hurt, spitting the words out. Her eyes are glossy. I can't take this anymore. I couldn't possibly let her think I hate her for the life of me.

I shut my laptop harshly and put it away before getting up, facing her. Now only the couch divides us, and I wish it would vanish so I'd just have to step forward and hug her. Hold her. Tell her that she's the one I want.

"Charlotte," I begin, but I don't even know what to say next. My head is empty at the sight of her pained face, her glistening eyes, her utter beauty. I can't believe she thinks that I don't even care about her mother. It's just if I am too close to her for too long, I might not be able to hold myself back. I have wondered how she would taste like for weeks, if not months. I was so damn close to getting the answer. Twice. But always, it was better if we didn't, I know it. And yet, it just intensified the despair within me.

She blinks tears away. If I don't do something, I might just tell her I love her. Desperately, I wipe one palm across my face before turning to the side. And I walk off. I walk slowly, as if she's a magnet holding me back, silently begging me to stay.

"Don't try to escape this now, you could say something instead," she angrily lets out, and I realize she has followed me into the hallway. Her hand is wrapped around my wrist, keeping me in place. Heat spreads from the contact of her skin against mine. I look down at it, then up at Charlotte when she sniffs. It's tearing me apart to see her like this. I notice new tears that roll down her cheeks.