Day 1

Basically the role I was filling was an open-ended social media role. But I was unpleasantly surprised by how archaic this company was.
You see, outdated and social media don't really mix. It's old school in the worst way possible. They expected us to create product listings on Instagram and Facebook, but not on Facebook marketplace or Instagram shop. In the feed. (???) So basically we had a single image of the product with a description, address of the store selling it, and a phone number you could call if you wanted to come pick it up yourself. Seriously it had all the modernity of a 90s Sears catalog.
And that's not even the worst part of this role. This is where things get a little ✨spicy✨.
Maybe I should be reviewing this place on indeed or Glassdoor so people can know how bad it really was. I think I would give it two stars maybe? So basically the whole issue was nepotism. They let their family drama and not wanting to step on any toes get in the way of all of the real employees. We're just trying to do our job so we have to work around these people in their crazy personal lives. Basically one sister was the owner and she had her other two sisters working for her there. I don't know what the middle sister was doing because she had been fired right before I started working there for posting racist things and going on a tirade on the company Facebook. Like I said they were pretty outdated.
And then there's the youngest sister. I don't know how to describe her other than "Scottsdale". But she was what you might call a hot mess. Honestly it's the type of things in middle school where you learn about stuff you post on social media can haunt you forever and people can screenshot it. Yeah basically she had never gotten that lesson and she was the one in charge of social media so let's just say it got a little sloppy at times. The owner saw that she was not taking it very seriously and just posting a lot of personal content on the business Instagrams and had to pry it out of her hands to give it to the new social media team they had just implemented. By which I mean me and two other people. But they never took away her access to the account  or changed the password or anything so basically whenever she would get drunk she would login late at night and post a bunch of pictures of herself at the stores. So I would come in in the morning, I would post my stuff for the day, post my products make some stories and then when I come in the next morning there would be a bunch of new stuff in the feed and it would just be pictures of her holding product at the stores and thing like her old lady outfits or you know like random stuff that drunk people post and unprofessional captions and it was just so messy because that's the owner sister we can't just delete that stuff out of the feed You have to wait a while until you archive it.
You're messing up all my professionalism here, lady, like how am I supposed to market stuff to the customer when you just want to market yourself in the pictures. What a messy situation and I don't know why they couldn't have fired her too.  Basically she was logged into the Instagram account of all three parts of the business: of the home business, the furniture business, and the women's clothing business and instead of taking her off of the Instagram they couldn't even talk to her about it they just made a new account. THAT IS LIKE THE EPITOME OF MESSY.
And I discovered the company had no HR so basically nothing ever got accomplished in this situation. The nepotism just got worse and I also found out about different areas like my manager got her boyfriend to work there and he was allowed to break certain rules because he was dating his manager. basically so it trickled down to like every part of the business including the one I was in.
And these three sisters were like insane. They were donating tons and tons of money to charities for dogs and they were like, "also a little portion of our money goes to a women's shelter as well" and I felt like, okay like, the dogs are more important to you. But you could tell, there were statues of dogs in their office and they were posting dogs on the social media feed and like random pictures of dogs and stuff. When you go to the actual stores there's a picture on the sign that's like we are dog friendly and the banner about the charities are helping has a picture of a dog that a picture of a cat which is like really offensive too, and a woman crying last and I was like oof, the dog charity comes first. Also I can't believe you would put a cat before a human being. Like the dog, I mean, I get it, dogs suck less than people. But a cat, that's just atrocious.
The weirdest rule they had for us was no plastic water bottles, because they were worried about waste. So rather than us recycling the water bottle when we're done with it they wouldn't even allow us to have them in the building and they said, "if we catch you with a plastic water bottle you will get written up." Ummmmmm 💁