Forgetting Time

Carter

"Are you going to answer that?" Harper asked, breaking free from my lips and rolling off of me onto her back.

"It's not important," I muttered, trying to pull her against me again.

She stopped my advance. "Carter, that is like the fourth time it has gone off in the last fifteen minutes. I'm starting to think it might be."

"Has it?" I was too distracted by how close those full lips of hers were to mine.

She rolled her light blue eyes at me, but I could see a twinkle of amusement in them. "How did you not hear it?"

I shrugged, not wanting to tell her that when those soft lips were against mine, how was I suppose to think about anything else? Especially when I would tug on her bottom lip with my teeth, and she would make that little sigh of hers.

"Earth to Carter!" She snapped her fingers in front of my face, causing me to come back to reality. "Check your phone."

I groaned, placing my feet on the floor. It was funny, when I first got to Bexley, I almost turned around and went back home when I saw the size of the bed we were given in the dorms. Coming from a queen bed at home, a small, measly twin bed seemed like the worse punishment.

But now, after having Harper in my bed, I have come to really appreciate the size. We had to be close proximity at all times.

I walked over to my desk, pushing the home button on my phone so the screen would light up. Sure enough, I had four missed calls from Charlotte.

My eyebrows narrowed in confusion. "It was your sister."

"Really?" She climbed out of the bed, pulling her phone out of her purse. "Nothing for me. Call her back and make sure everything is okay."

"Can't I just send her a text so we can continue?"

She placed a hand on her hip and gave me a look that I've learned meant I was dangerously close to being in trouble.

I used to feel bad for guys that would gave in whenever their girlfriend's gave them that look. Now I fully understand why they retreat so quickly.

"Fine, fine." I slide my finger across her name, calling her back.

"Hello." She answered on the second ring.

There was obvious annoyance in her voice, and while I knew that meant I did something wrong, I was also relived that nothing was majorly wrong.

"Hey Char, what's going on?"

"What's going on? Oh, I've just been waiting around in my room for the past forty five minutes, waiting for my best friend that apparently forgot we were going to watch a movie."

Icy. That is the only word I could think to describe her tone.

"Shit," I said, nervously rubbing the back of my neck. "I completely forgot."

"Yeah, so I've noticed," she replied. "What are you doing?"

I glanced over at Harper, who was busy looking at something on her phone, her way of trying to give me privacy. I had a feeling if I told Charlotte I was busy hooking up with her sister, she might get a little upset. Then again, even though Harper appeared to be distracted with Facebook, I knew if she heard me lie about what I was doing, she would be offended.

When did life get so complicated?

"I uh, I just lost track of time."

She snorted a laugh at my lame excuse. "Are you with Harper?"