Chapter Four

Car rides were never one of Toby's favorite things. While it had been years since the accident (even though none of them really aged physically; they blamed that on the Tall Man and whatever black magic he used), it was the one thing Toby couldn't get over. Brian often pushed for therapy for it, but with their current living and work situation, it would be best to wait until after they were out and safe. Until then, they would have to make due with comforting their anxiety ridden boyfriend -- fiance -- as needed.

It wasn't like they didn't use the car all too often. But for anything more than a day or two's walk needed transportation that didn't have a lot of people in it that could recognize them, like a bus or a train. A plane was out of the question -- even Brian couldn't deny he felt fear while flying in that giant metal death trap, and opted for a car as a means of transportation unless they were going overseas. So in this case, where they were traveling a good fourteen hours by car alone, they needed it for such a long drive. The best Toby could do was sit in back beside Brian as Tim drove, staring out the window mindlessly while a comforting arm was flung around his shoulders as Brian nodded along to the early '90's tunes playing on the beaten up radio.

It was an odd game, trying to explain to the Operator their plans to go up to Utah. The Tall Man barely understood humans and their customs as it was; to explain their need for such a long pilgrimage for a thing called 'marriage' (Jeff had made the joke that since Slender was already wearing the suit, that he could officiate the wedding by proxy for a preacher; that was another hour and a half of explaining just that) just seemed to go over their boss's head and had to be explained that no, he had not sent them on any errands in that area and that, in fact, this was common for humans who cared for each other very much. Needless to say, Brian, Jane and Liu were the only ones in the house able to keep their composure long enough to explain and convince the Tall Man that this was a necessity and they would return within a fortnight, at worst. He hesitantly agreed in letting his Proxies leave, if only for the gleeful reaction he received from Toby -- and the laughter from the others as Toby half tackled the Tall Man into a hug that Slender wasn't quite too sure how to recuperate.

Tim's laughter from the front seat brought Brian back from his thoughts and Toby from staring aimlessly out the window -- only for a laugh to erupt from Brian as Tim quickly turned up the music on the radio as they drove down the empty back roads.

" -- Gonna Roll Me,
I'm Not The Sharpest Tool In the Shed

"She Was Lookin' Kinda Dumb
With Her Finger an' Her Thumb
In the Shape of An 'L' On Her Fore-head

Well --"

Instantly laughter erupted from Toby as Brian and Tim began to sing along to the music, with Brian rocking himself and in turn Toby side to side as he pulled the laughing male closer against his frame.

"The Years Start Comin', And They Won't Stop Comin'
Fed To the Rules, And I Hit the Ground Runnin'
Didn't Make Sense Not To Live For Fun
Your Brain Gets Smart, But Your Head Gets Dumb
So Much To Do, So Much To See
So, What's Wrong With Takin' the Backstreet?

You'll Never Know If You Don't Go!
You'll Never Shine If You Don't Glow(Glow!)!"

All too easily Toby was roped into the singing as well, horror of the giant steel death machine he was trapped in forgotten temporarily as they sang. Brian was sure they were rocking the car slightly more than needed, but considering Toby was laughing hard enough to almost start crying, Brian wasn't going to be the one to complain about it.