Alpas

11/4/2021. 1,293 words. 

Alpas (v.)- to become free, to break loose

Y/n had slowly grown to know in her 37 years of life that sorcerers both feared and loved power.

There were cases like Gojo Saturo, where his power made him famous. People still feared him, since he could kill curses like no other, but he had respect. People hated him because they couldn't be him. People loved him because what he could do was amazing. He was feared, but above all, he was respected.

Then there were cases like her, where her power made her a dirty little secret. Y/n had the technique of canceling out cursed energy. She could kill a special class curse with her presence, as well as stopping other sorcerers from using theirs. Unlike Gojo, whose technique already existed before he was born, he was special and rare, but not a mystery, she was treated as a danger. Because she was unknown to them. She didn't have their answers. She had been kept under watch by numerous sorcerers. They watched her until they got annoyed by the fact that they couldn't use their technique when she was around. She would then temporarily move in with Gojo until the council assigned her to another person. She and Gojo had their ups and downs through the years, but Y/n would confidently say that he was her only friend and vice versa.

It was through Gojo that Y/n learned about Sukuna's vessel and his friends. And it was because of Gojo that she had met him.

Toji Fushiguro.

When they had met, he hadn't been a man of many words, strolling through campus without greeting a single person. She had been standing with Gojo when the man all but launched himself at the incomer.

Y/n still didn't know why he had been there, just that a week later, he had woken up in her bed.

He then decided to be her next supervisor. Again, Y/n didn't know why, just that she has spent the last half a year with him. Toji being a non-curse user, Y/n's presence didn't bother him. And she was happy to be treated like a normal person for once. Their relationship was calm and mutual. There were no ups and downs, no pros and cons. They were friends with benefits, both content to be just that. Y/n thought there had been an unspoken agreement between them regarding that. Neither of them would ever try to change their relationship.

She had thought. But as she stands in front of him as he sits before her glaring at her standing form, she also stands corrected.

"Excuse me?" She calls out, blinking in disbelief.

"Why the hell are you with my son?" Toji repeats.

Y/n would be lying if she said she didn't know Megumi was Toji's child when she approached him. Gojo and her were gossipers, what he knew, she did. But she hadn't known that Toji knew.

"You know he's your son?"

Toji rolls his eyes and leans his elbows on his knees.

"How could I not? The kid is a carbon copy of me." His eyes settle on her again. "The hell are you hanging out with him for?"

Ignoring the hostility rolling off the man in front of her, a small smile rises to her lips. She had become quite close with Megumi and his friends during her stay at the school. They were sweet and genuine kids.

"We've been having dinner together every Wednesday." She recalls excitedly. "He does remind me of you every now and then, but-"

"I don't give a fuck on when you are talking to him. I asked you why."

Y/n blinks at his snarl. A scoff threatened to come up her throat.

"I don't see what it has to do with you." Toji had never cared about the kid before, and Y/n was not going to stand him talking to her with a tone like that. Toji wasn't exactly a warm-hearted person, but he didn't rile up easily or talk down to people for no reason.

He sighs and runs a hand down his face. "I know what you're trying to do, so just cut it out."

Y/n had initially approached their little friend group as she was curious about Sukuna's vessel, but she stayed because the kind boy reminded her of herself. He just wanted to help, but he was treated scornfully. She had stayed because they needed support, and she was more than willing to give it.

What the hell was wrong with that?

"Why are you so pissed off about it? I'm just trying to help-"

"See?" Toji lets out a sound of disgust. "I should've known it was gonna get to this point, but this might have been the furthest anyone has gone."

"Toji, I don't get what your-"

"You can't be her, so stop trying to be."

Y/n once again blinked in surprise. She balked at the man in front of her.

"It's been fun, baby, but I think it's time-"

"First of all," She starts, anger rising in her veins. "Don't fucking interrupt me again. Second of all, drop your attitude. If you want to have this kind of conversation don't even try to sass me."

She watches as his jaw clenched in anger as she nears him.

"Do you seriously think I'm trying to replace your dead wife?"

Toji hadn't hidden the fact that he was still mourning her loss. They had the kind of relationship where they trusted things like that with each other.

"Why else would you be talking to those kids?"

A laugh of disbelief bubbles out of her throat.

"You're a real piece of work, Toji Fushiguro, and a whole asshole." She sits beside him on her bed. "Maybe I'm trying to give support out to a young kid whose father all but sold him because he didn't want him? Just because you're that useless fuck, doesn't mean I'm trying to become someone to you."

"Y/n there's nothing wrong with what you're doing, I just thought you'd be different. This-"

"Toji."

He looks to her at the unusual seriousness in her tone. Her face numb.

"The entire universe doesn't revolve around you. I sure as hell don't."

She stands from the bed and reaches towards her nightstand.

"Megumi is a good person and nothing like you. I'm not trying to become a parent to him just so I can be more sure in my position of getting in your pants. I'm not trying to become a parent to him at all. He needs people to look out for him since his piece of shit father won't. I have never once wanted to be more than friends with you. Just because you're not over your dead wife doesn't mean that every woman you talk to is trying to steal her vacant position-"

"You bitch-"

She takes the cup of water from the small side table and dumps it over his head.

"Feed your own ego. I'm a busy woman."

He stands from the bed and yanks her wrist. She drops the cup from the pain as he reaches behind her head and yanks at her hair. Their faces come close as he growls at her.

"How dare you, you fucking whore-"

She shoves him away and he falls back onto the bed.

"I've been called worse by better. It's cute watching you try and fit your entire vocabulary into one sentence."

She wipes her thumb over the scar across his lips. "Don't give me such a nasty look, your normal face is bad enough."

The door bangs as she leaves.

Y/n is sure Toji can hear Gojo's laughter as she retells the story to him, she's sure the entire campus can.

Deep down she knows she'll always remember Toji Fushiguro, but she'll sure as hell spend her entire life trying to forget. 

~A/N~

This was a very impromptu writing that sparked off when I realized that not many characters in the JJK universe would be good people or good partners in real life. Being a non-manga reader, I apologize if any of this seemed off or out of character, the Toji in this quick one-shot was the way I have inferred him from small context clues I got from being online. 

Thank you so much for reading and please leave a comment with your constructive criticism!!

~elleaa