Chapter Eleven: Ro

Steve's POV: At the hospital, the STRIKE unit was with me and Agent Hill. Fury was still under operation when Nat ran in on the verge of tears. When I saw Fury in my apartment, my first thought was of Ro. All Fury told me was that SHIELD is compromised and to not trust anyone. He gave me the USB that Nat backed up and I was in pursuit of the shooter. The shooter was Ro. Did Ro go rogue? Her tattoo was on display and she had the rifle in her hands. The man with her had a metal arm. Ro was on a mission to escort and protect Fury yet he shows up, without her. I chased the shooter and it was her, with the rifle in her hand, pointed at me. What happened?

          "Tell me about the shooter," Nat demanded.

          "It.. It was Schnee," I confessed to the now quiet room, "She was with a man. He's fast, strong, and has a metal arm. Something changed her. I didn't recognize the person with her. His face was covered."

          "Ballistics?" she asked Agent Hill.

          "Three slugs, no rifling. Completely untraceable," she said.

          "Soviet-made," Nat said.

          Agent Hill confirmed that. Director Fury didn't make it and his time of death was 0103. I couldn't stay and left the room. Looking at the USB in my hand, I put it in the vending machine behind some sticks of bubblegum as it was being restocked. Rumlow told me that SHIELD is calling me in now and I went to meet with Secretary Alexander Pierce. {END}

           After reporting back to Secretary Pierce, we were put on standby and I stayed undercover with Winter in abandoned buildings. Before dawn, he was asleep so I went back to the apartment and stalked it until the last agent left. For some reason, I had a key and let myself in. While walking through the apartment, images flashed of me with the man, Steve Rogers, being happy. Shaking my head, I went through my things and took my essentials and my wedding ring. Before I left, a stuffed bear caught my eye. I held it in my hands and foolishly stuffed it in my bag. I left the key in the apartment and returned to my husband.

          "Where were you?" he asked once I returned to the warehouse.

          I showed him my left hand, "Found it."

          He took my hand and pulled me into a tight hug, "Schnee."

          I held him, "I'm sorry I was gone for so long, Winter. It's been so many years."

          He took off my mask, "You look the same."

          I took off his goggles and mask, "You're aging."

          For several hours of intimacy, he showed me how much he missed me and held nothing back using his strength. I missed it and my husband. When we were done, we were exhausted and sore but relieved to finally be together again. Over the next couple days, we were informed of Director Fury's death and our next target was Jasper Sitwell upon learning of Steve Roger's death, as well as Natasha Romanoff's death at Camp Lehigh. I had tracked Agent Sitwell at a restaurant and Winter was going to use his approach of brute force. I drove a motorcycle while Winter sat behind me. We pulled up beside the car Agent Sitwell was in. He jumped on the roof of the car and I scanned how many more were inside. He pulled out the agent and threw him out and over the highway median.

          As he threw the screaming agent into oncoming traffic, getting hit by a semi truck, I yelled, "Three!"

          I tailed behind the car and he shot three times because I told him there were three more witnesses in the car. The car braked to a forced stop and I jumped over the car as my motorcycle rear ended them. Winter was thrown from the roof of the car and I stood with him where he landed.