the art of teasing

You were aware that you had your own life away from the Pogues, just like everyone else in your friend group did. You weren't sure if you were excited or dreading to see him; you had turned to one of your best friends for help by asking him to do something more serious than give meek advice on dating and your love life. You hadn't thought this situation through because you sat in the Chateau wondering if your friendship with him was compromised. Would things be weird between you two, especially around your other friends? Would JJ look at you differently? Would you look at JJ differently? After all, you had asked him to show you how to have sex and he agreed.

You hadn't seen JJ since the night he came over and kissed you, which was yesterday. JJ wasn't awake when you went downstairs to check up on him, but you checked your phone and saw he had left you a text explaining his absence. He and Pope were busy delivering groceries all morning and afternoon, which left him too tired to participate in the Pogues' usual swimming session. You hadn't heard a peep from the blonde since he left your house, and it wasn't out of the ordinary that you two would spend a chunk of time out of communication, but now you were more aware of his presence (and lack of) than before.

Kiara was the first to notice your strange demeanor when you were unusually quiet. You were both sitting on the couch in the living room with John B. and Pope mindlessly talking about a video game that had come out recently. JJ had yet to show up and you were overthinking what hanging out with your friends would be like after you and JJ had kissed.

"Why are you acting weird?" Kiara said after you had ignored her calling your name for the third time. Your head snapped to her.

"I'm not acting weird," you mumbled, fixing your posture to sit up straight. Kiara squinted her eyes.

"You are. You can't hold eye contact and you're not making fun of John B. and Pope talking about video games," she said. You licked your lips and tried your hardest to think about what you'd do if this were any other situation where you had slipped into a daydream, but there was no use. This girl could read you like a good book.

"I met a guy," you said quietly. You swore her eyes were about to pop out of their sockets. "It was when I waited for your shift to be over. We talked a little and then he asked for my number." Kiara swatted your arm.

"And you didn't tell me?"

"I was going to say something," you said, "but I wanted to see if he was gonna text me first before I said anything."

"Did he?" You nodded shyly and bit your lip.

"We went out on a date a few nights ago and watched the sun set on the beach." Kiara let out a quiet shriek and swatted your arm one more time.

"That's so cute! Okay, I'll forgive you for not saying anything because that's one hell of a date. What's his name?" You looked down at your hands.

"His name's Trent," you replied. "Really, and I mean really, good looking. Well over six feet and he always seems to look like he wakes up without needing to brush his hair."

"Tall and handsome," Kiara teased. You blushed.

"He's here for the next three weeks learning about his dad's business, or something. I don't want to bother him too much because he's technically here on business."

"Oh, I get it," Kiara said, leaning back. By now, John B. and Pope had gone to the kitchen and Kiara had disregarded her whispering tone.

"I just don't want to annoy him by constantly asking him to hang out with me, you know?" Kiara nodded. "I don't want to blow it either. He's so cute and from what I can tell, really nice."