You Underestimate My Power

"You're mad," I said. "We have to climb...that?"

  "I know it may sound a bit weird, but something is telling me that we should go up there." Arno took my hand and helped my out of the sewer. I looked around for any signs of threats lurking around. Instead of finding danger, a ghostly figure walked right through me from behind. I yelped and took a step back. The ghost didn't seem to acknowledge my presence.

  "I trust you," I said, starting to notice more of the ghostly figures roaming around in some kind of battle armor. "We will climb."

  "Good." Arno smiled from under his hood. "Let's go. And avoid the lights."

  What lights?

  I lead the way to the wall that barricaded us from the tower. Barbed wires had been cut open as if inviting us to climb it. Just as I reached a few meters away from the wall, a spotlight blinked on, casting it's blinding light on top of me.

  "Rache!" Arno shouted a few meters behind me. He surged towards me to push me out of its glare.

  "Arno, stay where you are!" I instructed, fear for Arno's safely washing over me. He didn't listen. He ran at me, poised to push me away from whatever danger lied above. I met his impact with my own, using his own momentum to throw him out of the spotlight. A bullet came from above and caught my shoulder as I did so. In shock, I managed to stumbled out of the spotlight and drag myself far from the light as fast as I could.

  Pain burst through my arm sending waves of nausea over me. It was worth it. If Arno had gotten shot...well, I don't know exactly what we're doing but I am going to shield Arno until we get back to the Paris that I know.

  Arno walked towards my bundled up form. "I told you not to get into the light."

  "Shut up," I hissed, clutching the bleeding wound. "I'm trying to protect your sorry ass until we get back."

  "Who told you to do that?" Arno teased lightly as he inspected my wound. His lightest touch wanted to make me scream.

  "N-n-no one." I gritted my teeth. The urge to release my agony in a scream made my breathing labored. "It was...a hunch." I extended my good arm at him. "Help. Up." Great. Now I can only speak with one word each sentence without moaning in pain.

  Arno slowly helped me up, leaning me against a wall. "I can dress your wound but the bullet is too deep and will have to stay in there until I can get you proper medical attention."

"No." I shook my head. "Pull. Now." When he gave me a blank stare, trying to comprehend whether I was serious or not, I exasperatedly took off one of my gloves and stuffed it in my mouth. Shutting my eyes, preparing to feel the worst, I plunged my hands into my wound.

  The pain was agonizing and my glove helped muffle my screams as my fingers dug deeper into the bloody mess. I finally managed to go far enough into the wound that my fingers barely managed to grasp the bullet. My arm in flames, I decided not to torture myself any longer. Meeting Arno's still dumbfound gaze, I pulled out the bullet silently, never breaking eye contact even though my insides screamed and twisted. I held up the bloodied bullet into the light, giving Arno a good look at the object, and threw it deep into a bush.

  Wiping my bloody hands on my robes, I said sarcastically, "Thanks for your help." I released my bite from the glove and slipped it back on, nonchalantly walked back towards to the wall that blocked the tower from any uninvited guests. I made sure that I avoided the spotlights at all costs this time. The torn up chain link fence said that the Germans have been here a while.

  "Rache!" Arno's footfalls came up from behind me and we both made our way to the entrance of the ripped up fence.

  I took a running start at the wall, twirling around search lights and leapt at the wall, my gloves reaching for the top of the wall and my boots digging in for purchase. Once I was able to get a hold of the wall, I pulled myself up and leapt again to the first metal bar of the tower, twisting in and out of the crisscrossed patterns out of the view of the lights. My arm screamed in pain but I bit down on my tongue to busy myself from the pain. Arno wasn't too far behind me.