Chapter 14: Unintentional Troubles

Except for the ruff state, the travel to their destination went quite smoothly. Once the light faded, all four looked to find themselves in the center of a forest, lit by the rising moon. A stream ran to the side of them, as well as an old beaten path. On the other side of the stream, across a rickety bridge, was a rundown cottage. All seemed normal, other than the piercing silence that surrounded them, not even the water dared to gurgle.

"So this is Dwarfs' Mine... It used to be prosperous, thanks to magic crystal mining but..." Deuce was in aw as well as shocked.

Grim gripped tighter to Xinyi's neck, her own hand rubbing him gently. "Uuuuh... Feels like something could jump out..." he whimpered, not daring to release his holed.

Ace looked around, spotting the building in the distance. "Oh, there's a house back there. Let's go ask them about the mine." he said, already rushing over the creaking bridge.

Deuce was the first to make it to the door and knock only for the door to slightly open. He looked to the others before entering. "Good evening... I guess it's abandoned. It's a mess in here." He wasn't wrong, the room they entered was a mess but that was mainly blamed on the dust and cobwebs. In reality the room was sparse, only true furniture was the table and chairs in the center of the room. There was a fire place with a cauldron, but no hot flames burns. There was a stairway with a broom next to it, neither looking to be used in years. Everything looked to be untouched, just left there to wait since hover long ago.

Grim jumped down onto the ground, only to be bombarded with the calculation of time. "Pah! I got a spider web in the face... peh, peh!" Grim complained using his paws to swat away the dust.

Xinyi helped him while Ace looked at the seating arrangement. "Aren't the tables and chairs on the small side? Are they for kids?" he said before trying to count them. "One, two... there's seven! So many!"

Deuce took notice of this as well. "This was probably a lively home when Dwarfs' Mine flourished." he stated

"They did what they had to. After all, magic crystals are found inside coal." Ace stated before walking towards the exit. "For now, Let's just go check out those mines."

It didn't take them long to find the entrance, the old trail leading there. The front was marked with three wooden beams, one on top of two. The tall dark and gloomy, a light wind coming through.

Grim had made his way on Xinyi's neck once more, gripping tightly to her as they neared. "W-we're gonna go in that pitch black hole!?" he exclaimed, looking at the males of the group.

Ace smirked at the monster, daring in his eyes. "Ya scared? how lame."

Grim growled at the ginger. "Huh? I'm not s-scared at all!" He quickly composed himself and jumped off of the girl. "I'm taking the lead! You guys follow me!"

Xinyi nodded, following close behind. She did not wish to argue but she felt something was not right about this place.

The interior of the mines were consumed in darkness, Deuce and Ace having to use their wounds as light sources. An old rale ran underneath them going off into different caverns of the mine. The quartet looked along the walls but all was bare and raw.

Deuce suddenly stopped seeing something. "Huh!? Wait!"

"What?" Ace stopped, the others turning to the blue eyed boy.

Deuce paused searching the dark. "Something... Is there!" he suddenly yelled as a translucent being burst forth.

Grim screamed, clutching tighter to Xinyi's shoulder. The girl jumped back in surprise, but did not say a word, for her voice would betray her.

The skinniest one laughed at them flowing in front of them. "Our first guest in ten years!" they said, turning to his friends.

The smallest one came close preparing to attack. "Make yourselves comfortable. For Eternity!"

Being abandoned or given up is the most devastating emotion we can cause in another human being.

Gary Daivd Currie

________________________________________________________________________________

Art from game