Chapter 7

"So what's your favorite food here?" Maxon asked as we sat on the lounge in his office. We had been friends for a month, but we were still getting to know each other. "You already know I'm going to say strawberry tarts. Oh my God they are like heaven in a bite." Maxon chuckled at that. "What? Let a girl enjoy her food." I said with mock annoyance. "Anyways, whats your favorite food in this very humble home?" I asked seriously, I took food very seriously. "I don't know I've never had anything other than the food from the palace chefs, but I would have to say I enjoy the steak. It is cooked immaculately." Maxon spoke very prim and proper, but I had gotten used to it at that point.

They usually were able to meet up every few days, and since it was the summer, I didn't have to work as much for holidays.

"I'm going to have to get going, I told one of the new maids that I would introduce her to the guards." I said standing up. Maxon chuckled "You're always finding a way to get in on the drama."
"I am not!" I said jokingly rolling my eyes. "Anyways princey pants, I'm on my way. Bye see you soon." We had become more nonchalant with each other. When Maxon could hang out, he would just knock on my door and see if I was available without using Silvia as the middle man.

"America, he clearly likes you. Why else would he talk to you everyday?" Mary said lying down on my bed, her feet dangling off. "Mary, you know men and women can be friends without falling in love. Also if you've forgotten his wife just died!" I explained as though talking to a child. Mallory looked up from her book letting out uncontained laughter. I joined in and so did Anne. "OK, ok. Jeez I can't get a break around here!"

This went on for 2 more months. Just normal friendship.
One night we were sitting out on Maxons balcony, looking at the stars trying to figure out what the names of each constellation were from a book. "Wait, look! Its Hercules I found it!" I said excitedly pointing at the star. When u didn't get any response from Maxon, I looked over to see him looking at me, a blank look on his face. He was very close, close enough to kiss me. I was shocked when he did. A pang of hurt hit me immediately.

Aspen. Oh Aspen. I knew he was out there living his life just like me, but I hadn't kissed anyone since 3 years before, with him. It was then I realized. I liked Maxon and he clearly liked me too. Aspen and I had broken up years ago. So why not try it out. If it all went south I could just leave the castle and pretend it never happened.

When I looked back at Maxon he had a hurt and guilty look on his face. I realized my own mirrored his expression. "I'm really sorry America I know you don't like me in that way. It my fault. I've probably ruined our friendship now. Oh dear what have I done?" He said more to himself than me.

I turned to face him all the way. And rubbed circles on his forehead with my palm. "What are you doing?" Maxon asked looking confused. "I'm erasing the memory. We can do better than that." Maxon let a shadow of a smile appear on his face, his confidence returning. He leaned down and held my face ever so gently, kissing me like whisper. We pulled away at the same time looking into eachothers eyes. I not only saw excitement but absolute adoration. How had I been so blind these past months?

A/N this chapter is kinda shit but the end is cute so it makes up for it. 🤷🏽‍♂️