I - Chapter Thirty-One

Dream stared at Tommy's limp body in the water. The arrow shot had been clean, so no blood covered the area. But the boy was dead. There was no doubt about it.

He watched as the rest of L'Manberg rushed over to Tommy's side, trying to feel for a pulse or even the smallest flicker of life. It was useless, of course. Dream prided himself on his marksmanship.

He had won. L'Manberg was defeated. In the end, he was right.

"Finally," George said, sitting down on the grass with a sigh. Dream turned to look at him as the man picked a red flower growing beside him. "That was a long war."

Dream scrunched up his nose. "Was it, though?"

"Not really," Sapnap agreed. "I don't know, I expected more from them."

Eret folded his arms. "They fought well. You can't deny them that."

Sapnap elbowed him and grinned. "You're not getting sentimental towards them, are you now, traitor?"

The man looked away, his fists clenching by his sides. Dream scowled at them. "Stop teasing him, Sap. He's been through a lot."

"Fine," Sapnap muttered. His grin resurfaced, and he poked Eret on the bicep. "You're great, man. We all appreciate you, you know that, right?"

Eret chuckled. "Of course I do. But... they did good. You can't deny them that."

His words sounded eerily similar to what Wilbur had said after he had asked for surrender. Sapnap had been joking when he called Eret a traitor, but... what if Dream was the one being betrayed? A double betrayal?

Stop. Just--- stop. Enjoy your victory. You finally got it.

Dream allowed himself a small smile. He had won. L'Manberg thought that they could try to oppose him, but really, what was the point? In the end, he'd always be victorious.

'What have you done.'

The voice in his head made him flinch. It had appeared after he had killed Tommy and the rest of L'Manberg, refusing to go away. The flashbacks didn't happen anymore, but with the voice occupying the inside of his mind, it didn't seem like a good trade.

Go away, Dream snapped inwardly. I made my decision and I will stick by it. I don't need you messing around with things again.

'This will cause chaos.'

Would you please shut up?

The voice in his head gave a sigh, which was really weird to hear inside of his mind. Dream scowled to himself and glared at the crowd grouped around Tommy's dead body. It didn't make sense. He had defeated L'Manberg, and yet this... other side of him didn't even want to celebrate. Instead, it scolded him for his actions.

In a way, it was worse than the flashbacks.

A heavy feeling filled his body. Dream's eyes widened as he realized what was happening, then narrowed again in defiance. Don't you dare revive him.

'Or what?' the voice asked mockingly. 'You'll try to stop me? You cannot. You know that this is wrong.'

It's not. This is my victory.

A flicker of doubt appeared inside of him, but he brushed it off impatiently. A win was a win, no matter what losses there had been.

But... Tommy was on his lands because he had invited him. He was the one responsible for whatever happened. It was his bad luck that the "whatever" came in the form of a war.