𝟎𝟏

✿✿✿

✿✿✿

An irritating rhythmic ticking noise filled the quiet room, the hands of the clock on the wall moving glacially. Paper scraped against paper as a page was flipped, the greying middle aged woman holding the notebook tilting her head, eyeing the person across from her with thinly veiled scrutiny.

"What about the dreams, Nari?" The sickly girl on the matching dull black chair across from her hardly reacted to her voice, her only indication that she had heard her was the barely noticeable tilt of her head, limp coal-black hair falling blandly over her prominent shoulder creating a dark curtain that hid her face from view. Suffocating silence persisted in the room but it was always that way when Nari came to see her, it was rare if the petite girl spoke at all.

tick...tick...tick...

Dr Esther Laverick leaned back in her chair, not once taking her eyes from the eerily quiet wraith that occupied her office. Twisting her pen in her hand she allowed herself to look fleetingly at the clock. 50 minutes and not one word from her. She really shouldn't be surprised but she always hoped with each new session she'd get some reaction. Nari wasn't just a patient to her, she'd been close friends with the girl's parents when they were still alive. Nari's father worked in the same profession as her and they'd come to be good friends in the 10 years the Korean couple had taken residence in the city of Portland.

Sang-Hun and Yeong-Ja Jeong were an enigma, it was rare to see two people so in love, they were truly made for eachother in every way. Nari's father was a marriage therapist and in her opinion the best in the game, there was no telling how many relationships he had saved in the many years he worked. He was an extremely intelligent and handsome man, very analytical and calculated when it came to his job. Many of his female clients would flirt and try to lead him astray, but it was all for nothing. He was the most committed husband and father she'd ever seen, it seemed impossible to her that one person could hold so much love in their heart.

Maybe that was why he and Yeong-Ja were a perfect match, the woman was the epitome of a loving mother and wife. So bright and funny, giving her undivided love and attention to those she cared about. She had worked as an aspiring chef but after meeting Nari's father she decided she wanted to settle down and raise a family. How Esther had adored Yeong-Ja, it was hard to meet someone as genuine and loyal as her in this day and age, the world was filled with despicable people who looked to take things from you at any opportunity no matter the cost.

tick...tick...tick...

They had lived in the city of Daegu, located in the North Gyeongsang Province of Korea until the little girl was 6, her father receiving a job offer here in Portland that was too amazing to turn down. He soon became the most successful and sought after marriage therapist in the state, there was no relationship he couldn't mend. Things had been perfect for them until it had taken a dark twist. Sadly with recognition comes a lot of money; with that money comes unwanted attention.