Plucked Petals

I was heading back to the cart in kind of an excited manner, Jack's going to be back sometime soon and I wanted to see all the flowers Jacky managed to pick and put into the cart, I went over and paused before I opened the door, I took a deep breath before I opened the door, I looked in and nearly lost my mind, the entire cart was filled to about my ankles with flowers, this was exciting, I quickly began moving them out of the way so I wouldn't step on them, I didn't want to flatten them, once I was done with that I began making sure everything was set up nicely so Jack could be put back in the bed, I checked everything over before I finally went over to the bed and sat down, now waiting for Jack to be brought back, after a minute I heard the door open, I looked over to see Brian carrying in Jack, he paused in the doorway for a moment but he continued to bring Jack over, he set him on the bed before he began to leave without saying anything.

"Toby?" Jack asked.

"Y-Yeah?" I asked.

"Um... what happened?" He asked, "It smells... nice?"

"I f-filled the c-cart with f-flowers." I replied.

He looked even more confused.

"How many flowers?" He asked.

"A lot." I replied, "L-Like... a wh-whole f-field."

He pushed himself up before he looked over at me.

"Where did you find a field of flowers?" He asked.

"I p-promised I w-wouldn't t-tell." I replied.

"Um, okay." He agreed, "Can... you tell me why?"

"Why w-what?" I asked.

"Why with the flowers? Why bring them here?" He asked, "I... don't think I understand."

"W-Well, t-today I was g-given a bouquet, and I l-learned that y-you n-never got a-any." I replied, "S-So, t-to show h-how much I c-care, and t-to sh-show you h-how m-much I a-appreciate you, I b-brought s-some to y-you."

He was silent as he was sitting there, his head turned down slightly as if he was thinking, I reached out and gently pat the top of his head.

"G-Good boy." I rubbed his head, "Y-You did g-good t-today."

He didn't reply.

"W-What's w-wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing." He replied immediately, "It's fine, thank you for the flowers."

"I kn-know you c-can't s-see the f-flowers, but you c-can feel them." I offered, "Do you w-want t-to?"

"I guess." He replied.

I got up and began grabbing some for him, I tried to choose the ones that felt the most interesting, I then carried an armload of them over to Jack and dropped them onto him, he quietly picked them up and began gently feeling them, I carefully sat beside him.

"So, um... h-how did i-it g-go?" I asked.

"How did what go?" He asked, "My adventure with Smiley?"

"Y-Yeah." I replied, "How d-did it g-go?"

"Fine, I suppose." He replied, "He didn't tell me that anything improved, but he didn't say anything bad, either."

"I'll t-take that a-as a g-good thing." I said cheerfully.

"That's fine." He replied.

I quietly watched him as he was messing with the flowers, I could tell something was bothering him.

"Are y-you okay?" I asked.

"I'm fine." He replied, "Don't worry about it."

I began getting antsy about it, I began pulling at my sleeve.