Chapter 30

Waverly was now staring at me. Thankfully, she was too far away to have heard what I'd said about Wynonna. The guy let go of my arm. "Whatever your problem is, you need to calm down."

"Sorry, sorry. I'm really sorry. I'll pay for your drinks, and the dry cleaning."

"It's okay," the girl said, smiling at me. "It's a free bar. And, it's only a little white wine on my sleeve."

"I'm so sorry."

The guy was left with little option but to step back. "I do think you need to leave."

"I know. I just...I'll go. I'm sorry."

"It's fine," he added, his ego saved. "No hard feelings."

He went to shake my hand. I didn't want to, but knew if I refused he would take it as an insult and we'd be back where we started. I shook it, Chrissy's turn to take my arm and lead me outside. "Seriously, you need to tell me what is going on."

I paced back and forth. "He...Wynonna and...it's why."

"You're not making sense. Give me the bare facts."

I looked around, as if Wynonna might suddenly appear. "Promise you won't say anything."

Chrissy glared at me. "We're long past that. You've nearly had a fist fight with some random wanker. Plus, Waves is still in there, on her own. And, I'm losing my patience with you, which is rare because I happen to like you. As a friend. So, don't get any ideas."

I spied a bench near us, waiting for Chrissy to join me. "Wynonna and John."

"What about them?"

"It's why she went to Greece. He's married."

"Holy...are you saying they were an item? Oh, my God. Oh, my God."

"Chrissy, he almost got her pregnant."

Chrissy's jaw dropped. It was the first time I'd seen Chrissy speechless. I now regretted telling her, worried Wynonna would be beyond furious for having divulged her secret. She was still speechless when Waverly appeared, who was definitely furious with me for having made a scene in front of everyone.

"John's invited a few of us back to his office."

"You can't go," Chrissy blurted. "Seriously, Waves."

She stared at us. "Can someone tell me why the fuck not?"

"Wynonna," we both said at the same time.

Waverly continued to stare at us, a dawning realisation as to why I might have been acting the way I had, and the shocked expression on Chrissy's face. "Was he why she went to Greece?"

I nodded. "I should have said something. Baby, I'm sorry."

"What happened?"

"Not here."

"We can find a café."

"No, I meant, he came to London. He wouldn't let her go."

Waverly squeezed between us. "He said he'd taught Wyn," her voice but a whisper. "He never said. He never said anything about..."

"He wrote to her. Told her...said he had decided to stay with his wife. That what they had shared was a passing cloud, destined to disappear."

"Why didn't she tell me?" Waverly said. "I'm her sister. She knew I was here. She knew I'd end up being taught by him. I don't understand."

"Because," I let out a long breath. "I think she still loves him."

"After dumping her," she replied. "She's not that stupid. You know her, she wouldn't be that stupid."