Chapter 5

Aubree's POV
I hated this.
I hated walking in hospitals.
I hated the fact that Taylah was sick.
I hated everything.
I hated myself.
I hated the reason that Taylah is sick because of me.

When Aunty Aria told us that Taylah had cancer, my heart sunk. She was never going to forgive me for this. NEVER. Aunty Aria and Uncle Ezra we're going to stop talking to my parents. My parents will ground me. Ugh. I hate my life. I'm only 10, and I gave my best friend cancer.

Well, not exactly.

You see, Taylah and I got into a heated discussion last night over the phone. It was a blur what it was all about; but it was definitely something pathetic. Mother says we are too alike. Our personalities clash and we have pointless arguments over nothing. Which I agree, it is true. But it doesn't make it any less frustrating then if it were over something serious.

We began calling each other names.

Stupid.
Idiot.
Stupid head.
Fat head.
Donkey face.
Bitch.
Whore.
Slut.
It got pretty intense for us; she had never called me a bitch before. Then I made the decision to say something a little more insulting. The worst thing I could think of. I had experienced death first hand when my grandmother died; the pain was unbearable. It was the worst thing I could think of at the time; and I wish I didn't say it.

"I hope you get lung cancer."

Taylah knew how hurtful I intended to be. She had been there.
When she was diagnosed.
When she was battling.
When she lost her battle.
The day of my grandmother's funeral, I said to Taylah "the worst insult ever, is to tell someone that you wish they had cancer."

We both knew it without saying anything, but we promised ourselves to never say that to each other.

I took it that extra step. I broke the promise. Now, because of my actions; Taylah suffers. She has cancer. She will die. I will go through the pain of losing her. Her parents will. My parents will. Everyone will. Just because of me.

When Uncle Ezra came into the room, I was scared beyond belief. Was she dead? Did she want to see us? See my parents? See me..?
"Spencer, she wants to see you." he states panting.

She hasn't forgiven me.