Chapter 10

Aria's POV
How could it be possible?
My baby girl was taken from me twice in two days. Was I getting punished? Was Taylah getting punished? What did she deserve that meant she could not live her life? She will never have children. She will never get married. She will never have her first kiss. She will never make it to high school. She won't graduate. She won't get a job. Nothing. She only made it to 10, the age where Barbie dolls suddenly are baby- ish.

I always heard the saying "no parent should have to bury their child." I never really fully understood it until now. The pain was unbearable. When my mother died, the pain was nothing compared to this. Something that I created, put time and effort into to; something I thrived off was taken away from me. I would never hug her again. Never kiss her again. Never touch her again. Never comfort her again. She was gone. She was dead. There was nothing I can do about it; that killed me.

Ezra cleared his throat before speaking.
"This isn't fair. Other children get a chance. They get longer then two days to battle. I know it's incredibly inappropriate, but why didn't she battle for longer? Why didn't she hold her guard up? Why did she give up?" he cried.
"She didn't. Her lungs did. She had no control over that Ezra. She didn't chose to die; she was only 10. There's nothing that severe in a 10 year olds life that they feel like they have to take their life for." I replied, annoyance laced through my tone.
"What do we do now? Remove her from the hospital? Arrange her funeral? Lay her in a box until her funeral? What do we do? I've never had to do this before. There shouldn't have even been a first time for this. It's not fair... It's just not fair!" he questioned.
He was right, what do we do?
"I'll go get the nurse" I say and walk out of the room. Taylah's presence made me feel sick to my stomach; she couldn't eavesdrop on this conversation, and that hurt a lot; she always loved eavesdropping.

I walk down the narrow corridor. It was absurd to think that this is the place that my only child died. I walk up to Taylah's doctor.
"Hi I'm Aria Fitz, I was wondering if you could assist us with signing my daughters death certificate?"
These words alone are the words that no mother should have to speak about their daughter. The fact that I did, reduced me to tears.
"Of course, I'm so sorry about her death, I can only imagine what you are feeling." He states sympathetically.
"Well it is your fault." I state blankly.
It's a rude thing to say, but it's true. Taylah was under his care, and he failed us. Failed her. Failed society. The world lost a beautiful 10 year old; all because of the fuck wit who stood before me.
"I understand you feel angry, but please know I never had the intentions of not helping her. She was a lovely girl. For a 10 year old going through cancer, she made everyone else seem like they were depressed. She was always cracking jokes."
The last time she cracked jokes to us was before all of this. The last person Taylah mucked about with was not Ezra or I. It was some doctor who she'd only just met. Such a simple thought; but it drove me crazy. I was mad at him. I was mad at the world.
Why did it have to be this way?
Why couldn't she be at home practising her dancing, or reading a book?
Why?
The questions flooded my head and drove me mad. I never understood death before. The concept of it and the toll it takes on people.
Well now it's safe to say that I do.