the siege of the north

.·:*¨ ¨*:·.

oh, how I have been waiting to turn you to ash, admiral zhao

❉ ╤╤╤╤ ✿ ╤╤╤╤ ❉

AIRI had been spending most of her time during the invasion wandering the ship and feeling guilty, though she was trying her best to ignore the feeling that kept rising in her stomach whenever she looked at the partially breached wall of the Northern Water Tribe. And by what she was sure was more than coincidence, Iroh and Zhao happened to be walking in the exact same direction as Airi that day.

"I don't need to remind you that we have a time limit," Iroh warned. "We must defeat the water tribe before the full moon rises, otherwise they will be undefeatable."

"I assure you, I have everything under control. I intend to remove the moon as a factor- ah, Airi, come and walk with me," Zhao said, his tone changing instantly as he spotter her. Most recently he had started using her name to address her, which though had caught her off guard at first, only made her name feel sour when it passed through his lips. Nevertheless, she obeyed.

They had just made it out to the railing when Airi spotted a boy who was dressed in a uniform that was at least 20 years old- how had he been allowed on the ship? It was clearly an assassination attempt from the water tribe, and a poor one at that.

"Admiral Choi! Prepare to meet your fate!" the boy cried. Airi sighed and elbowed him in the stomach before tossing him over the railing with ease.

"You were saying, Admiral Zhao?" She asked, struggling to keep the irritation out of her voice. Zhao smiled lazily at her, not bothering to keep his amusement out of his face.

"Years ago I stumbled upon a great and powerful secret: the identity of the Moon Spirit's mortal form," Zhao continued, unbothered by the attempt on his life.

"What?" Iroh asked, his tone a mixture of concern and intrigue. Airi knew that after the death of his son, Iroh had thrown his heart and soul into learning everything he could about the spirit world. Though he had never found the information that he truly wanted, he had fostered a knowledge and love for spirits that anyone who knew him personally and many who didn't were all well aware of.

"I was a young lieutenant serving under General Shu in the Earth Kingdom. I discovered a hidden library. Underground, in fact. I tore through scroll after scroll. One of them contained a detailed illustration, and the words "moon" and "ocean". I knew then that these spirits could be found and killed. And that it was my destiny to do so," Zhao was determined now, and Airi knew that there was nothing that could be said that would change his mind.

"Spirits are not to be trifled with," Iroh warned, his intrigue gone and his concern quickly fading into anger. Airi agreed. It was not only the waterbenders that relied on the balance between the moon and the ocean spirits- the resulting chaos would affect everyone, including the fire nation. Without the moon spirit, all that the fire nation had accomplished, both the good and bad, would be eradicated in chaos.

Yes, yes ... I know you fear the spirits, Iroh. I've heard rumors about your journey into the Spirit World. But the Ocean and Moon gave up their immortality to become a part of our world. And now they will face the consequences," Zhao said, his ego leaking into his tone and a triumphant smirk spreading across his face. "That is all, General. Airi, stay for a moment. I'd like to have a word with you."

Iroh bowed shortly, already thinking of a way to channel his anger into a plan to stop Zhao. Airi would find him later and help him with whatever he needed to stop Zhao. But for now, she had to handle Zhao himself, and whatever it was that he wanted. "What would you speak with me about, Admiral?" Airi asked, composing herself and bracing for the worst, whatever that meant.