Just how fast the Night Changes

~

I ended up not killing Artemis, but instead having her give me a piggy-back ride, because these shoes were the definition of uncomfortable to walk in, much less walk. She may be thinner than I was, but Artemis was strong as hell. 

As Artemis carried us up the grey paved path, the shadowy silhouettes of the multiple pack houses, monumental statues and a portion of our large pack came into view. The closer we got, the more visible they became. Pack members of all shapes, color and genders were gathered, visually embracing their kids, probably wishing them good luck for the ritual.

The white color of our uniforms contrasted and/or blended with the multiple colors their families wore. Some parents had stony expressions on their faces, like Nicole and her father, Angelina who fiddled with her sleeves as she talked to her aunt and Lorra, Artemis' bestfriend.

"Can I put you down now?" Artemis complained, "You weigh the same as a baby elephant, geez"

I rolled my eyes, hopping onto my feet and watched as she straightened herself.

"I'm gonna talk to Lorra, I'll be right back" Artemis said cracking her spine before running over to her friend.

"Mhmm" I replied to no one in particular, before I continued to observe the crowd with the light of the moon, and some of the street lights that were around. A majority of the other girls who were about to do the ritual were receiving small pats on the head from parents and other relatives, while only a few ere getting hugs.

Hugs, as humans put it, referred to good luck and other loving emotions, but only a few of us were smiling. The brightest one being Alyssa as she hugged her mother and older brother lovingly.

Out of nowhere, my parents came over and my mom pulled me into a bone crushing hug. She adjusted little Neila on her hips. She gave me a lop-sided smile when she met my eyes.   Once the hug broke apart, mom looked lovingly into my eyes cupping my cheeks between her free hand. If I hadn't gotten use to her touchy persona, I would've been embarrassed with her actions.

" I want you to know that we are all proud of you Cassie " she spoke, tears of joy sitting in her chocolate brown eyes.

" Mom, the ceremony hasn't even started and you're already crying" I pointed out, smiling slightly.

" I know, but you look like you need it right now" she half spoke, half whispered. A bit of confidence shot throughout my entire body at her words, making me feel a bit more at ease. Casting her a loving smile, I gave her a small hug, meeting Dad's eyes as I did so.

He looked awkward, and tried to play it off by adjusting Neil, who sat unbothered around his neck. Unlike his twin, Neil could care less about meeting my eyes or even acknowledging my presence when dad was around. Dad, then, cleared his throat, signaling that he was ready to speak.

" Cassandra ", he started, and I knew he was about to put down a whole lecture. I'd probably even miss the ritual at this point, " I just want you to know that you, along with the others tonight, have a lot of responsibility being placed on your shoulders tonight. This ritual is a very important step in your lives and I trust you'll all make our pack proud" He paused briefly and looked into my eyes. He placed his dark-skinned hand onto my shoulder, contrasting intensely with the material before finishing his speech, " I hope you make us proud, I hope you make me proud "

And there it went...the little confidence mom had magically placed in me had evaporated like it never existed.

I took in a deep breath and nodded vigorously, causing him to smile. Anything to make him happy, I guess.