1

meredith was no intern. she hasn't been for years, but she was new to the hospital. so she decided she'd go, just to meet the others, maybe they'd be there. she didn't want too, but she also didn't wanna be the new girl.

she walked in, the room was crowded when her eyes met a pair of blue ones from across the room. of course something that would happen to her, but she immediately looked the other way, towards the bar and had a seat.

"tequila, please" she asked kindly and was immediately given the shots of tequila, downing them, when she felt the presence of someone she turned to see, the same beautiful blue eyes.

"you're going to regret that in the morning ya' know?" the stranger stated not breaking eye contact.

"i always do." she said smiling taking back another shot.

"so what's your story?" the guy asks calmly, his blue eyes sparkling in the light of the room.

"i don't have a story. i'm just a girl in a bar." she smiled.

"okay, well technically we aren't in a bar. this is more like a room with a bar" he said casually.

"that is true." she stated

"Dr.Derek shepherd"  he said extending his hand out, she grabbed it shaking it. when their hands touched, the electricity sparked. they both felt it, because at the same time their eyes met one another's.

"Meredith grey" she smiled.

"i've got to get going. do you need a cab?" he asked politely.

"i brought my car here," she said yawning.

"well in that case, i can give you a ride home, and call a cab? is that alright?"

"perfect thank you" she smiled, as he escorted her out, opening the car door for her.

"tomorrows your first day?" he asked curiously

"yes. i'm a neuro attending," she said looking out the window, giving him directions to her mothers house. the car ride wasn't an awkward silence but a comfortable one, as they pulled up she got out, quickly followed by derek.

"do you wanna come in and wait?" she asked turning the knob. he was a complete stranger, usually she'd get as far away as she could but it was freezing in Seattle, and this guy was obviously cold.

"uh sure" he said following her into the house, it was dusty, and had sticky notes all over the wall.

"so, ah, you actually live here?" he said looking around.

"no." she said shutting the door.

"oh?" he said confused.

" yes. kind of." she said, standing alongside him in the entrance.

"Oh. It's nice. Little dusty. Odd. But it's nice. So how do you kind of live here?" he asked taking a seat on the still covered couch.

"I moved two weeks ago from Boston, it was my mother's house, I'm selling it."

"oh, i'm sorry" derek said looking up at her from the couch.

"for what?" she said confused.

"you said was."

"oh! my mother not dead, she's- you know what, just forget about it." she said joining him on the couch.

"do you have a phone?" he asked realizing his was dead.

"um yeah." she said bringing him the house phone. he dialed a taxi, that would arrive in an hour. it was a busy Thursday.

"here." he said handing her back the phone.

"thanks. how long did they say?" she asked putting the phone down, looking in the cabinet for anything to drink.

"sorry. um all i have is water" she said shrugging her shoulders.

"that's fine." he said, as she walked over and sat next to him handing him the water, that was old.

"um Meredith . how old is this water?"

"i don't know" she said honestly making one of her disgusted faces.

"probably shouldn't drink it then" he said causing them both to laugh.

"what made you go for neuro?" he asked curiously looking over at the petite blonde.

"it just intrigued me. it's so great." she said smiling.
"you?, what's your specialty?"

"i was an attending neuro surgeon"

"was?" she asked curiously. the same tone he had used earlier.

"oh i'm chief of surgery." he said, watching her eyes go wide.

"chief!" she said freaking out. "ohmygodyou'rechiefshepherd" she said all in one breath.

he let out a laugh. "yes that is me"

"oh god. you probably think i don't care about my job, and just let strangers in my house, - i don't i mean"

"stop you're rambling. it's okay" he said smiling at her.

"oh god" she said putting her hands in her head.

"Meredith really. you're fine" he said smiling.

"okay i'm so rambling." she said just as their was a car horn outside.

"that's me. i'll see you tomorrow Meredith" derek said, as Meredith walked him out. she waved bye. running back in the house taking of her purple blanket. she wanted to sleep, but she couldn't stop thinking about tomorrow, tomorrow was her first day. Meredith headed upstairs sleeping in her mothers old bed. A room that hadn't been used since her mother was put in a home.