Chapter 1

Ariel Hayes' POV

I stumbled back as we reappeared, this time in the castle as I looked at the ceilings that were covered with candles chandeliers. If I did not know that we were in the Underworld, the whole effect could be scary to those that were seeing this for the first time. I turned around the huge what appeared to be ballroom as I heard the faded footsteps that came from the entrance. I turned to look at the newcomer as he was wearing black-on-black clothes as he bowed to Lucifer. My captor turned to look at him, taking the red box that the old man brought on a tray before he was leaving us again. Then, Lucifer was turning to look at me, holding the red box. "Shall we then, my lady?" he said as he opened the box and I was gazing at the most intricate onyx ring and the stone was as big as my thumb that was shining under the candlelight. I blinked my eyes before I was looking at Lucifer's face again.

I know it will look ridiculous on my finger but still... the thought that he wants me to wear that ring was more than I can imagine, I thought as I was biting my lower lips. "Do you think... umm... do you have anything that is not that size?" I asked as I was locking my eyes with him. Lucifer furrowed his eyebrows as he looked at the onyx engagement ring.

"Why? Don't you want this size?" he asked before he snapped his finger and another red box appeared, replacing the one that he held before. Then, Lucifer opened it and I stumbled back even more.

I glared at him. "Not bigger, you idiot! You want me to be robbed by bandits?!" I hissed at him as the Lord of the Underworld was smirking, completely amused by my reaction. Then, he swished his hand again and another red box appeared, replacing the one he held before. Please be smaller, please be smaller... I prayed as I was gulping the lump in my throat. I don't think that Lucifer could hear my prayer but low and behold! The onyx engagement ring was the right size for its shining stone and apparently, it was the right size for my ring finger on my left hand.

Lucifer smiled. "Will this will do, my lady?" he taunted me as I was gritting my teeth, staring at him. I nodded as he was asking for my left hand. He asked for my hand as if he was going to try to put the ring on without any formal invitation like kneeling before me or saying some romantic words that would my heart swoon.

Maybe if Lucifer did do that, I would choke him to death with my bare hands.

So much for being romantically involved with my captor, I thought, sighing before I held out my hand and Lucifer grabbed it. He took the onyx ring from the red box, letting the box disappear as he was sliding the ring onto my finger. I felt the cold platinum band as I was looking at the intricate cut of the onyx and what it represented to me and my life now. Losing one husband only to gain another, I mused before Lucifer was gripping my waist and pulled me closer. He smiled. "Now, it is time for us to seal the deal with the kiss, as mortals like to say," he said and before I can stop him, he was pulling me by the nape and kissed my lips as if he owned it. He did own it, considering the onyx engagement ring that I wore, even though there was no feeling involved. If I don't know any better, I would say that the Devil knew how to kiss a woman. But considering that he had practiced for the last 1000 years before he met me, I know that he would woo some ladies that were innocents and lead them down to his looming castle—like he did with me right now. As I was trying not to fall under his charm, Lucifer broke the kiss as he was smirking at me. I kept my face stoic, not wanting to show any emotion or whatsoever.

"And now, we get to the main event—the vows," he said as he took my hands into his and cleared his throat. I don't know how it was done in the Underworld but I know that if the Lord himself wanted to claim me as his lady, then, he would not have anyone to bless the marriage. His words, this land's law. Lucifer closed his eyes as he was gripping my hands, taking a deep breath before his ruby eyes were focusing on my face, searching for something.