Ch.21: A Premonition

Shortly after our call had finished, Tsubaki picked me up in his car and he took me to a "lovey dovey" Cafe as promised.

I sat with a cup of coffee steaming in front of me, and poured a lot or sugar and creamer inside of.

Tsubaki had placed his hands on his cheeks and elbows on the table, just smiling and staring at me.

"Is there a problem?" I asked him as I sipped the coffee, that may be a tad over saturated with sugar.

"Nope♡" He replied quickly.

"So...how was your day so far?" I said, in order to get the conversation rolling.

"Well, we recorded lines for Panzer of the dead late afternoon yesterday, but you know Azusa, it wasn't sitting right with him so he came back early this morning and dragged me with him so I could practice for an upcoming audition." Tsubaki sipped his tea, and the waitress came over to deliver what he ordered. When she placed it down he said, "thanks sweetheart" which caused her to blush and run away. This probably was regular behavior for him, and it wasn't exactly surprising.

I decided to essentially ignore the interaction between him and the waitress, "Oh? Are you nervous about your upcoming audition because you strike me as the type to just wing it and trust the process."

He paused ever so slightly before grinning like a little kid, "wow you catch on fast! You really get me."

He looked genuine as he said this so I averted my eyes for half a second in slight embarassment

"The audition is for a series that actually got me and Azusa into voice acting that they're turning into a new anime. I'm auditioning for the main part just to let you know~"

"Ah. No wonder you're so nervous! Don't worry, I'm sure you'll do great." I said trying to reassure him.

"Thanks, Azusa is also auditioning for the part."

This almost made me spit out my coffee.

"Be careful! Don't take so big of gulps!" He held out a napkin for me, which I took.

"Koff koff!! I-Im KOFF fine.." I hacked my lungs out for a little while longer until I regained composure. "Don't you think that would cause...well, how do I put this?... conflict between you two?" He stared at me for a few seconds before busting up laughing.

"You don't need to worry about that (Y/N)~! Our relationship is rock solid. Besides, Azusa doesn't even want the part."

"Huh? Then...why is he auditioning in the first place?"

"It's not uncommon for VA's in this industry to audition for a main role in order to get casted as a supporting character that they want to play. You're more likely to get attention that way."

"I'm not sure how that really makes any sense, but I'll take your word for it." I smiled at him before finishing my coffee.

"Anyways, enough about me. Let's talk about you~" He looked at me mischievously

For the rest of our time together in the cqfe, Tsubaki walked me through the audition process. He did preface the information he gave me with the fact that he has no experience in the modeling side of the industry and how there will inevitably be procedural changes in how the audition is done in order to cast for this part; which I did appreciate. He also explained how it might be better if I talk to fuuto about how to audition for modeling gigs, because as a popular singer he does modeling as well. That obviously was not a plausible option for me.

"Oh! Ema asked me to come over." I said as I looked down at my phone, also noticing that 1 and a half hours have passed since we first arrived here. Since then, me and tsubaki collectively ate a lot of food.

"I'll drive you over then. Check please~!"

On our drive home he asked me about casual things. such as school, family, and what not. I think he noticed how quickly I tried to move past the topic of family; but I'm trying not to overthink things.

"Here we are! Sunrise residence!" He got out of the car, and quickly ran to the passenger side door to open it for me.

"Haha! You're so gentlemanly!" I thanked him and stepped outside. I found his gesture endearing.

We walked inside and we were met with Ukyo, Ema, Yuusuke, and Azusa.

"Hello everyone." I greeted them as I took my shoes off.

"Hi Tsubaki, Hi (Y/N)." Ema greeted.

"Did you guys meet outside the front gate?" Ukyo inquired.

"Oh actually-" I wanted to tell them about everything that happened in the last 24 hours, leaving out the Hostess club part, but Tsubaki's hand quickly clasped over my mouth.

"Mhm! We happened to run into each other by chance of fate. Maybe we're destined to be, right (Y/N)?" He winked slyly at me, which I presumed that he was trying to signal to me that he wanted me to play along.

"Hah...." I sighed, removed his hand,, and continued "Sure, Sure." I walked into the living room and sat down next to Ema

"So how was your day so far?" Ema asked me.

"It was actually really great!" I went on to tell them about Natsume's offer.

"Wow! You must be excited! I'm so glad you didn't go through with the other job you had in mind." Ema sounded relieved as she said this.

"Other job?" Yuusuke interjected, "what do you mean other job?"

"That's not what's important right now." I quickly dismissed his question and turnt to Ema "I'm a bit nervous as well."

Azusa came up from behind the couch and placed a hand on my shoulder, "I'm sure you'll do fine." He smiled at me, and I smiled back.

At this moment, I didn't recognize Tsubaki's scowl he had in response to Azusa's interaction with me. Although later on, those negative feelings grew to the point where they couldn't be ignored.

Time moved quickly for the next two weeks, between practicing for my audition and hanging out with Ema, as well as going to school; my plate was full in terms of activities.

Soon enough, it was time for Tsubaki and Azusa's Panzer of the Dead announcement conference.