Chapter Two

Cody and Jackie showed up 45 minutes later, like they said.

"Hey Bryn!" Jackie smiled from the passenger seat.

"Hey Jackie, ready for the game?" She loved basketball so much that she learned flute so that Bender could use her as a guide to basketball.

"Yes! I can't wait! And Adam's gonna lead the team, as always!"

"Yeah Bryn, how does Adam not have a big head? He's so good at what he does and he a team captain...as a sophomore I might add." Cody pointed out.

"Because Adam's a really good guy okay? I don't know what it'll take for you to see that in him."

"It's only a matter of time Bryn," Cody warns.

"Until?"

"Until Serena's spell works. That chick is good."     

"Adam's different..." I mumbled. Cody parked his car as close to the loading dock as possible. I quickly got out. I had a drum set to load. I walked in and saw Mr. Bender.

"Hey there Bryn, how are you?" Bender smiled.

"Good, can't wait to watch Adam." I said as I put the kick drum on a cart.

"He's a good kid. I'm glad you two are friends."

"Couldn't imagine my life without him to be honest. I don't think I'd be where I am today without his constant encouragement."

"I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be anywhere he is today without you either." He smiled. I swear, Bender's smile was the best.

"I'm gonna head down now, Cody looks like he's ready to go."

"Oh, can I have you on clarinet tonight? We only have three and I'd really like it a lot if I could have another first player."

"Sure thing Bender." I forgot to mention that I also play clarinet. I played a little back in middle school. My one friend, Mable, taught me. She's always been the most reasonable friend. She's basically guaranteed the section leader position, since she'll be the only upper classman next year. I walked into the instrument storage room to grab one of the schools to play.

"Bender wants you on clarinet tonight?" Mable asked all excited.

"Yeah, he wanted another first part."

"Yay! I'm so happy to finally have a friend!"

"You have other friends, silly."

"None as great as you Bryn."

"Thanks, but so not true."

"So true." She smiled. We walked down to the main gym. We all sat where the band normally sits. The boys had a warm up CD they typically play so I could actually watch Adam and compare the other team to ours. I did know a little bit about basketball. Taller players and teams have the advantage. The odds definitely weren't in our favor. The other team had boys no shorter that six foot three. That where our boys seem to have maxed out.

"I'm not liking our odds." I looked at Mable.

"Bryn, you say that every time and every time, they win."

"But this game is really important. They have to make it a home game. Having the home court advantage for the first playoff game is so important."

"Bryn, chill, you're overreacting." Mable smiled. Then I saw the cheerleaders go out. That means the starting lineup will be announced.

"Look! There's Conner." Jackie said. She's had an 'I have no chance' crush on him since grade school. He and Adam were the two starting sophomores. Adam came up after him. Both teams were announced and Bender signaled for us to get ready for the anthem. I found it funny; our guys were arm in arm and the other team stood in a straight line. We finished and sat down.