SIXTEEN - an overture

The next few weeks passed with Keira mostly reading and learning how to block Voldemort from her mind. She was already good at being able to deflect an outright attack on her mind but Severus was insisting that she learn how to hold off more subtle attacks. These tired her more than anyone could imagine because throughout the day Severus would try and see inside her mind and she would have to recognize the symptoms quick enough to stop him from seeing her memories.

Towards the end of the Holidays, it was now humid in the air and the breeze was warmer than a bath on the skin, Severus and Keira were called to Malfoy Manor at Voldemort's request.

When she and Severus arrived they found all the deatheaters already seated around the table waiting. She took her place next to Narcissa and Draco while Severus made their apologies. Soon Voldemort called for Wormtail, a sniveling man who brought forward a floating woman. Keira recognized her as a teacher from Hogwarts and quickly glanced at Severus. His face was impassive but there was a slight pinch at the corner of his eyes which Keira read to be anguish. He is good at his act. His face did not even change when the teacher pleaded with Severus.

Voldemort struck the woman down to make an example to the deatheaters and let Nagini eat her. As the giant snake slithered across the tabletop everyone pulled their hands away and turned their heads from the sight. Keira however looked on, her face, outwardly, showed a mild curiosity and she made sure to cock her head to the side to make her look of intrigue further. Keira kept watching the snake, she could feel pairs of eyes on her, some she hoped to be Voldemorts. I despise you and you will burn.

Suddenly Voldemort rose and all eyes followed him. Except for B's who tried to capture Keira's across the table with no luck. Voldemort walked slowly around the table, He is asking for a wand. Voldemort stopped in front of Lucius Malfoy.

Keria noticed Draco shift uncomfortably in his seat and she understood. He has only just got his father back and now Voldemort wants to punish him some more. She reached out and took his hand under the table which he squeezed tight.

Now is my chance. "My lord, would you perhaps prefer my wand?" Keira said, suddenly rising, every eye in the room turned to her and a shocked babble revolved around the room. Voldemort stopped in his examination of Lucius' wand to address her.

"I would not, but I am pleased by your offer Thorne," Voldemort said with as much grace as he could muster. "Let Thorne be an example to all here today," Voldemort addressed the room to more muttering. "You have done well Crouch," Voldemort added and B bowed his head.

After the meeting had concluded in which Severus had disclosed the time and date that Harry Potter would be moved to the burrow, Lucius thanked her for her offer. This was the most feeling he had ever shown towards Keira. Typical, he only shows feeling when I am helping him. However, Keira did not mind, it had shown Voldemort that she was loyal and everyone else that she was not to be messed with.

Keira saw B discussing something quietly with Voldemort and Severus so she decided to fetch B's coat from the hall. On her way there she felt a subtle pushing at her psyche, it was a testing push and then it let off again. Voldemort is more skilled at legilimency that I had thought. The feeling was so delicate that Keira had to be subtle herself in placing a mask over her own thoughts and painting the mask with appropriate deatheater thoughts so as not to alert Voldemort to what she was doing.

When she had collected the coat she turned to see B ready to leave and walking towards her, he thanked her for the coat and she accompanied him outside into the bath-like air. Why anyone should need a coat is beyond me.

"You didn't really enjoy that, did you? The snake thing?" B asked tentatively as they slowly walked towards the road away from Malfoy Manor. "Because your face looked lik--- well Voldemort," B said.