Dawn Moves Out

"Okay, I'll go first," Dawn offers. Mae and Y/n are having a sleepover at Dawn's house and telling each other secrets is their tradition.

"My super sleepover secret is... until I was seven, I had a crush on Smokey the Bear," Dawn admits.

"Really?!" Y/n bursts into laughter.

"You know he's a cartoon, right?" Mae questions. "I mean, that's cool if that's what you're into," she assures her.

"Come on, he's cuddly, he cares about the environment, and how cool does 'Mrs. Dawn the Bear' sound?" Dawn strangely wonders.

"I mean, if you want to be a big animal with a lot of fur that can only growl and chase people off, then it sounds great," Y/n teases her.

"Okay, tell me your deep, dark secret," Dawn tells Mae.

"I can't. I don't really feel comfortable," Mae says, declining.

"Okay, Y/n, what about your secret?" Dawn asks, turning toward her.

"I'm sorry, but I can't tell you in here," she tells her.

"I promise, whatever you say does not leave this room," Dawn reassures her.

"Totally. My lips are sealed," Dicky promises as he swings down from the top of the bunk bed.

"Do you mind?" Dawn asks him sarcastically.

"Not at all. I love secrets," Dicky answers, not understanding Dawn's tone of voice. "How about you?" he questions Nicky. The girls look over to see Nicky doing a workout in the middle of the room.

"I'm all ears. And biceps. Time to work the glutes," Nicky says while showing off. He then does this weird squatting exercise, and Y/n has to refrain from laughing.

"This is ridiculous," Mae announces.

"Just ignore them," Dawn suggests.

"How can we possibly ignore them?"  Y/n asks.

Just then, the toilet flushes, and Ricky walks out of the bathroom waving a newspaper. "Ooh-hoo! Ooh, sorry about that. Nature called. And let's just say she had a lot to talk about," Ricky explains.

Y/n wrinkles her nose in disgust while Mae wonders, "How are we supposed to ignore that?"

"It's not that bad. Here. Let's paint our nails and forget they're here," Dawn suggests, intent on ignoring her siblings.

We're about to choose our color nail polish when Nicky comes over. "Gotta chalk up for the three-pounders," Nicky says as he dips his hands into the chalk.

Dicky suddenly turns the hairdryer on. "Dicky! What are you doing?" Mae screams.

"I wanna look good in my dreams. And yours," he replies.

"Dawn..." Y/n sighs as Mae gives her an 'are you serious?' kind of look.

"Still not that bad," Dawn optimistically declares.

"Uh-oh! Nature's calling back," Ricky suddenly shouts. He bumps into Nicky while running to the bathroom, causing Nicky to fall on Dicky, which makes the hairdryer blow the chalk all over the girls.

Mae and Y/n stare at Dawn expectantly. "It's that bad," Dawn finally admits, giving in.

~~~

"Good morning. Would you guys and Mae like some breakfast?" Mrs. Anne offers as Dawn and Y/n walk into the kitchen the next morning.

"We would, but Mae left hours ago. Right after the boys used her toothbrush to clean out their ears," Dawn tells her mother.

"Honey, I'm sorry they ruined another sleepover. I mean, it's a wonder Y/n can stand them," Anne knowingly admits.