Chapter 22: The Ji and the Bath

Layla sat alone at the counter, she had a rough week. She was forced to attend a family vacation with her, less than ideal family. Her favorite dress was stolen by his brother's new friend. She had to beat up a drag queen to get the dress back. And one of her favorite shippings was just ruined.

Marigold, now only relying on crutches to travel, stepped towards Layla and sat down beside her. "Hey, what's up?"

"Oh shut up, I hate you!" Layla snapped.

Marigold makes a face, expressing her confusion. She scoots closer to Layla. "What's wrong?"

"You're not fighting for Ligold..."

"Should I know what that is...?"

"Ligold! Liddan X Marigold! I ship it so hard!!"

Marigold sighs, recalling Layla's weird obsession with romance.

"Okay...I know I said you should look for real romance...but picking it out of your friends and family isn't....socially acceptable."

"What am I supposed to do? Gishi died with Gideon."

Marigold thinks for a moment. "Gideon and Nashi?"

"Yep."

"Well..." Marigold thought for a moment. "What about Layier...no...Xayla...err...no...man. These are hard to make."

"Laxayla?" Layla asked.

"Yeah! That's it." Marigold concluded.

Layla glances over to Xavier.

"You know...I've had a big crush on him since I was little, but I've always been a kid to him." Layla said sorrowfully.

"Well, enlighten me...when did you start to like him?"

"Well...I think I was 11 at the time..."

Four years ago, I was still doing some heavy training. I'd seen what Laxus could do as a lightning dragon slayer, and I'd also heard how strong my dad was when he used it with his fire dragon slaying.

So I went out to Laxus and faced him.

Young Layla steps in front of Laxus, who was drinking a beer, and stands in front of him.

"Laxus! You are worthy as my mentor. You may teach me in the art of lightning dragon slaying!"

I was a pretty cheeky kid back in the day.

Laxus looked at Layla as if she were mad. He kind of lets out a laugh, then covers his mouth.

"How old are you kid?" he stammered out.

"I'm 11! Thank you very much!" Layla flips her long blonde hair back, giving off a smirk with pride.

"Alright...then I think you're old enough to take my training." Laxus scratches his chin. "You'll meet up with me here tomorrow. I'll bring my kid. Xavier!"

Xavier turns to his father and heads towards him and Layla. "What?"

"This here is my new apprentice. Layla, this is my son, Xavier. You've met right?"

Layla turns up her nose. "Hardly."

Xavier gives a sigh and tries to smile. "Nice to meet you too..."

"Tomorrow I'll take you on a trip. That's when you'll begin training with me and Xavier." Laxus sticks his hand out. "Deal?"

Layla hesitantly takes his hand. "Fine. See you tomorrow."