Soulmates

At birth, everyone is assigned a soulmate. You get one, your fate, your destiny. Some people's soulmates die young. The saddest thing in all of this is sometimes the universe assigns one person a soulmate but the love is not there. Once you find your soulmate, your life is forever with them. 

Hazel was just a young girl. She had never loved another human in her life. All she wants to do is meet her soulmate. She doesn't care who it is she wants to be loved and love someone. She feels broken.  She is depressed and lonely. She dreads going back to school. 

I wouldn't say I like school. I just started year 12, my last year. There are so many couples around. People together, it's sickening. All I want is to find my soulmate. The bell rings for class. 

"Ok everybody, welcome back. We have a new student joining us today,"

I look up to see a girl. She had long dark brown hair that she wore in a ponytail. She wore blue glasses. 

"Hi, I was told to sit here," 

I saw she was sitting next to me. 

"Oh, right," I say nervously. 

"I'm Rosie," she says holding out her hand.

"I'm Hazel," I say as I shake her hand.

I felt something in my stomach. Butterflies. I was so nervous around Rosie. I could barely speak. 

"Hazel," Rosie says waving her hand in front of my face.

"Yeah, sorry, spaced out."

She giggled.

"I was asking what classes you were in," 

"Mainly a lot of sciences," I reply

"Same," she says "We could go to classes together," 

"Yeah," I say.

The entire day I couldn't stop thinking about her. Her hair, her beautiful green eyes. I was so distracted. I could feel my heart beating in my chest. "A friend," I thought as I smiled and waved goodbye to her. I felt as if she was a god, so graceful, so beautiful, I couldn't stop thinking of her, an image of perfection. Finally, I asked her, 

"Hey, Rosie,"

"Yeah,"

"Have you met your soulmate?"

"I think I have," 

My heart dropped, I know she is just a friend but it felt like so much more. 

"Who do you think it is?" I ask.

"I don't want to say," she replied.

"Ok," I say holding back the tears. I wished it was me but I knew it wasn't, she was perfection I was nothing.

"Lets go get milkshakes, I'll drive," 

"Ok," I say quietly. All I could think about was her, her long brown hair, she looked so much better with it out, her emerald eyes hidden by her baby blue glasses.

When I saw the milkshake place up ahead, I knew I needed an excuse to go home, I couldn't be in the presence of Rosie, I was so deeply in love with her, I just couldn't. When she didn't stop I said 

"Um, we just passed the milkshake place,"

"I know," she replied. 

We kept driving for a while. It was getting late. The sun was setting when we stopped at a lake. We got out of the car and sat on a bench overlooking the water. It was so peaceful so quiet, the birds chirping, the water flowing. Before I could say anything, Rosie got out of the car and sat on the bench. I quickly followed. 

"What are we doing here?" I asked staring into her emerald eyes. 

After a long pause, she replied "I think you are my soulmate." 

I put my hands around her neck. It was just like I dreamed.

"I love you, Rosie,"  I blurted out. 

"I love you, Hazel," she responded in a sweet voice.

"Can I kiss you?" I asked

Before I could react she was on me, her lips on my lips.  The whole world stopped, I managed to grab her hand and squeeze it. When she pulled away I saw her smile, A big goofy smile. I wanted to do this forever. I put my arms around her and kiss her forehead. 

There was a big splash in the water and the world around us explodes.