Memories

It's April fourteenth, the day after my fifteenth birthday. But no one seems to notice. I blink my eyes open and stretch out my arms. I stand up and realize that Violet left. I would've thought that was a dream if not for the neatly wrapped red box on my bedside table. On the top is a note that reads:

Happy late birthday Keelie! BTW surprise party for you downstairs, only telling you so you don't try to kill us like last time! Okay bye kk!<3 V

I throw the note under my pillow and rip open the pretty package. I'm a sucker for pretty wrapped things. Inside is a sweetheart open cut back mini black cocktail dress. Sexy! I set it on the countertop in the bathroom as I get my toothbrush to cover my morning breath. I splash water on my face then go back into my room in search of a strapless bra. There's another box in my top drawer.

The card on the top is another from Violet:

I thought you'd need some sexy shoes to go with the sexy dress so Richie chipped in (well after me swearing to break his leg if he didn't. Little brat bit me first!! Worst brother ever!) and I also decided you need a bra 'cuz I mean come on I've seen your closet. So ya know strapless but don't worry the dress will help you hold it up. Not like you have any 'support' don't kill me! TTFN!<3V

I glare at that note and grumble as I throw it in the bathroom. I take a quick shower and throw my robe on. I curl my white gold hair and put on a little makeup. I slip on the dress and wedges and look at my reflection. Wow. The dress shows off my long legs, the makeup makes my crystal blue eyes pop and brings color to my skin. I bounce my hair in place and glide soundlessly down both sets of stairs.

When I reach the bottom practicing my surprise face I see no one's paying attention. Richie and Violet are fighting over the cake. Amanda throwing a tantrum at Jack who's trying to shut her up with a dog toy. Rosco and Keith are fighting over a present (no doubt trying to see who would give it to me). Missy's trying to break everyone up running to and fro and finally stopping by the table pressing a hand to her stomach.

I snort. I put my glasses from the top of my head onto my nose. I glide over to the granite island and sit on a black stool. I put my finger in the frosting on one of the cupcakes and spin on the stool. Still nobody notices. I roll my eyes and decide to start the party myself. I stick a candle in each cupcake and light them. The new guy is the only one who noticed, he glared at me before throwing the dog toy at Amanda.

I reach over towards the presents and bring the mound on the stool next to me. Perfect setting. I put on the plastic tiara written on with glitter glue that says sloppily from amanba. I step onto the counter behind the cupcakes and loudly start the birthday song. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME..." Everybody stares at me wide eyed before joining in. I blow out the candles before getting off the table and onto the stool.

Violet wimpishly looks at me, "surprise." People start to talk but I shush them with my hand. I open each present. Bejeweled jeans and dark red nail polish from Missy. Black trench coat from Violet which goes perfectly with the beautiful sunglasses Richie got me. I squealed like Amanda when I saw the sparkling gold otter box covered iPhone 6 from Keith. I laughed at new guy.

Violet stared daggers at Jack, then literally got out a dagger. Obviously she thought he better get me a present. Before he got cut he put up one hand and threw a hundred at me with the other. I was going to put this stuff away when Rosco sat me back down. He smiled at me. "Kee, happy birthday. This is important so I thought you should have it. My grandfather gave it to my father and my father gave it to Keith and I here. So now it's yours honey." then he hands me something so amazing my breath hitches in my throat.

On my lap is an polished wooden bow with an intricate swirled carving of a beautiful buck on the handle. He hands me the sheath of arrows next, sleek black metal tipped, deadly. I blink away the tears and say my thank you's. I pretend I'm tired though it's only two in the afternoon so I can go to my room.

I put everything neatly away; my makeup on my vanity, my nail polish, sunglasses and glasses in the jewelry box, my trench coat, dress, jeans, and shoes in the closet. I put my tiara and phone on top of my dresser and my money in the hidden corner of my top drawer. I put on some sweats on and grab a tissue box and the black and white picture before I lay down on my stomach and pull the covers over my head.

Then I cry.

I cry as I remember my mom and the war and everything I've lost. I cry as though there's nothing left. I cry for this mafia type family I have now. I cry for the only thing I have left. I cry for everything. Mostly, I cry for the memories. Memories, the only thing left of my life before tragedy struck.

Memories...