Chapter 2-The Wind Blows

7 YEARS LATER

The smell, that's what it was, that's what Cal hated the most. The smell was horrible and powerful. The smell lingered and he hated it. The smell reminded him of death, of the scorching disease that took over the human brain. The disease that ate everything inside you and turned you into a monster. The disease...he had to stop. He had to stop thinking. He needed to believe that there was hope. But there wasn't. He needed to believe he could keep his sister alive, that he would find more medicine to keep her alive. But he couldn't. He needed to keep his family safe, as many people safe as he could. But how? He wasn't superman. He wasn't King Kong. He wasn't the president or a police man. He was no one. He was just the wind floating past. When the world wasn't so...DEAD...he wasn't even that popular. He was just a kid to talk to when you needed someone to listen. And it was always the same thing.

"William says that Johnny likes me, but I don't want to hurt his feelings since I don't like him...what do you think I should do Cal?"

"Tell him how you really feel or find out if its just a rumor. Ask him if he likes you I guess."

"You're the best Cal thanks!"
And the girl went skippidie hop off to Johnny who actually liked her, but said it was a rumor and his feelings were hurt. What a great life it was back then...

But back to the smell. The smell lingered over the town that he lived in. Only a couple of people lived since the accident...or whatever happened, accident or not. He was tired of trying to figure out what really happened since he knew he wouldn't get a straight answer. He only knew that there was around, maybe less than, 20% of the world, over 50 dead bodies in the chapel, and that his sister was on the verge of death. He really had to stop thinking.

"Hey there."
Cal wasn't expecting anyone so he stood up quickly as he slid his knife out of his shoe and put it on his forearm ready for attack. His muscles tensed and he gritted his teeth. He let out a long sigh and relaxed when he saw who it was.

"Hey Ruby."
She was staring at him with those big brown puppy dog eyes scared.
Cal sat back down on the rock.

"Might want to loosen down a bit."
Ruby sat down next to him and reached for his arm. He was looking down at his knife as he kept turning it over. He didn't even seem to notice when she got in close and hooked her arms around his and laid her head on his shoulder. Her breath brushed his neck.

"You know you don't have to separate yourself from everyone."
He just kept looking at his knife in a trance.
"Your sister's been getting better. She didn't have to take her medicine today. Someone's watching her incase she shows any signs."

She said this last part because Cal had stopped suddenly and looked up. He relaxed again.

"Do you know the first thing Mel said to me when this happened? When the world went suddenly nuts?"
Ruby shrugged.
"She sai-"

He stopped suddenly when a piercing scream filled the air.

They both looked at each other stunned.

"Mel!" Cal's face washed over with horror. He looked almost as if he was about to cry right in front of her.

"Oh god! Oh please." He pleaded as they sprinted back into town.