Chapter 5

Rebecca grimaced when she heard the knock. Catharine was forcing her to eat something, though her stomach was still in knots. She'd managed to clear away a good chunk of her work but there were still several tall, sticky piles of it waiting for her.

Rebecca opened the main door to Catharine's suite of offices and watched in shock as kitchen staff rolled in carts full of food. Even with both her and Catharine eating a portion, there would still be plenty left over.

After the food had been arranged along a side table in the conference room, Rebecca walked over and began lifting up silver lids on large dishes of pasta, bread, salad, and dessert. When another knock sounded, she wondered if more food was coming.

When Rebecca opened the door, shock crossed her face again as she found not the kitchen staff, but Alexander. It took her a moment too long to recover, but when she did, she curtsied and said, "Your Highness."

"Good evening, Rebecca," he said in a low, soft voice that sent shivers through her. She liked her name on his tongue just a little too much. He walked inside and closed the door, his security agent taking position just outside, leaving them alone.

"The princess is not here at the moment, Sir, though I'm happy to help with anything you need."

"Are you?" he asked, his gaze locking with hers. Uncomfortable and unable to hold it, she shifted away.

"Yes, Sir, of course, though the princess is expected shortly."

"Well, at the moment, I'm in need of several things. First, however, I must inform you that Catharine will not be coming this evening."

Confusion dotted Rebecca's eyebrows and mouth as she checked her phone. "I didn't receive that message, Sir."

"I'm delivering that message to you."

She couldn't fathom why the prince would deliver such a message to her. "Is the princess unwell?"

"She's perfectly fine, no need to be concerned. You'll have to forgive me."

"Forgive you, Sir? Whatever for?"

"I arranged that dinner be sent for you. Well, I should say for us."

"Us, Sir?" She almost couldn't breathe.

A faint smile etched across his lips. "Yes. I think the two of us should have dinner," he said simply.

"Why?" she asked before good sense could intervene.

Alex chuckled and the sound sent tingles across her skin. "I'll tell you over dinner. We wouldn't want to offend the kitchen staff, now would we, by sending the food back uneaten?"

Conveniently boxed in, her nerves began working overtime. "Of course not, Sir."

His eyes twinkled. "Excellent." He gestured for her to lead them into the conference room.

She took a step forward, then stopped. She was about to have dinner with Prince Alexander, the man she dreamt of and thought of in an entirely inappropriate sense. "Um, do we need to invite anyone else to this dinner, Sir?"

"No."

She frowned lightly. She must be dreaming, she decided. Any moment now, she would wake up and find herself asleep at her desk. Yes, it was all just another dream. It couldn't be real.

Alex smiled and stepped closer. Rebecca gasped when his fingers caressed her cheek, soft as a breath. Her eyes broke contact with his to glance at the camera in the corner of the room. Though it cost her to do it, she stepped back. Alex's eyes narrowed.