No.

Copyright © 2012 by Crystal Carter. All rights reserved. Text, graphics, and HTML code are protected by US and International Copyright Laws, and may not be copied, reprinted, published, translated, hosted, reproduced or transmitted by any form of means, electronical, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise distributed without the prior permission of Crystal Carter.

Erika stares at me with a slack jaw. "You've got to be kidding," she says, pushing her glasses back up to her eyes. She looks over my head to ask Annalyne. "She's kidding, right?"

Anna shakes her head. "Looks pretty serious to me. But you know it's not going to happen, Jessie."

I stop walking and smirk. "To hell it won't. I'm better than every single one of the boys, even Joey said it."

We're talking about derbyball. In this community, you get more praise for being on the local derbyball team than any football, baseball or basketball team combined.

I would know, my brother was on the team before he left for the Air Force. He had been the one to teach me how to play. Mom and Dad never even knew.

"You are good, but you know that the guys won't let a girl on the team. Even if you are a tomboy," Erika says, pulling a strand of hair from the tangled mess.

Annalyne agrees. "Plus Jess, you could be supermodel gorgeous if you just combed your hair and wore clothes that fit."

"I hate supermodels. Dude, they never eat. They suck starch and stuff. Do I look like I would choose starch over a slab of ribs?"

"Yes."

I shoot daggers from my eyes. "Well I wouldn't."

We walk over to an area closest to an active volleyball game, which currently has the two captains arguing about something. Annalyne's itching to join, you can tell by how she bounces on her feet. Erika lays a towel out, opens a beach umbrella and sits, pulling out a book.

I retreat, "Yeah, guys, I think I'm going to skate a few laps around the trail. Go join the game, Anna, you look desperate." We bust out laughing. "And you," I point at Erika, "Read your boring book. I'll be back soon, I promise."

Anna runs off. "Okies, have fun."

Erika's already zoned out.

I grab my skates from my bag and throw my sneakers at her, running too fast to hear or see her reaction.

After hopping over the railing, I lace my skates up slowly.

When I'm steady on my feet and ready to roll, hehe get it, roll? But when I'm ready, I push myself forward and glide on my wheels.

I'm already in heaven.

They ocean smell wafts up my nose and the slight breeze lifts my tangled hair. The world slides past me, and I enjoy every single second of it.

When I've gone around the trail a third time, I pick up serious speed. It's ecstasy, feeling weightless, almost as if you're sliding on a frictionless surface. This is part of me, not just something I like to do.

That's the reason why I want to join the derbyball team. I'm fast, it's fun, and I've been trained by one of their own. They would be dumber than lollipops to not see my potential.

As quickly as I speed up, my skates slow me down. Up ahead, guys recognizable from the derbyball team are talking as skating at the same time. They guy on the right side has the round grapefruit sized ball in his outer hand, just holding on to it.