Blank.

A week and a half passes and I don't talk to anyone but Anna, Erika, Kurk, some members of my team, and Maxwell, who I know call Max.

We actually got to nickname basis pretty quickly. I've also learned a lot about him, like how his parents are divorced, his mother living here in SB, and his father living in SD. He says he's coming to stay with his mom in a few weeks for about three months.

I also learned that his birthday is one day before mine: May seventeenth. He joked around saying we would hang out for the two days with no sleep, and I humorously agreed, but let's face it...

I can't live without my sleep.

I had told Anna and Erika all about my adventure in SD, from start to finish when I had walk out of my family dinner, after I did a few laps around the skate park.

"Chance seems so guarded. I don't think he wants to let anyone find vulnerability in what he does," Erika had said.

Anna, who had had her nose in a magazine, as usual, looked up from her article. "Jessie, no offense, but you're kind of the same way, just less so than Chance. Plus, you don't want your pride scratched where he doesn't want weaknesses revealed-"

I sighed. "Can we quit talking about him? He doesn't even matter," I had muttered as I used my fingers to spin the front wheels on my skates.

When I looked up, I caught them share a knowing glance, and go back to what they were doing.

We'd chilled for the night at Erika's before my mom called hers, telling me to come home. So I did.

I still refused to talk to her when I got home, however. Now, a week and some later, I'm still being reserved.

Tomorrow is Joey's last day home before he has to travel back to his base, as their unit had been overseas for only a few weeks and I'll miss him, even if he's a pain in my ass. Allison will go back to the base too, I guess. I deem her worthy of my brother, and my brother worthy of her. They're cute, I just wish they could stay a little longer.

I glance out of my bedroom window and peer into the fog of this beautiful and warm April morning. It's supposed to get to eighty-one degrees today, perfect for a skate around the boardwalk.

I quickly glance at the time on my phone. Almost nine thirty. I get up from my bed and slip on a pair of shorts and a oversized t-shirt. I also slip my flip-flops under my feet and put an elastic in my hair.

Lastly, I retrieve my old backpack and put some skates, lotion, earbuds, a beach towel and a bathing suit in my bag, just in case I decide to go for a swim.

When I get down the stairs, no one's occupying the dining room, living room, den, or kitchen. With no one downstairs, I smile at head over to the fridge and pull out the small container of fruit medley that I made last night when everyone was asleep. After setting it on the counter, I also place two granola bars next to it, along with a Sobe Life Water, blue and blackberry flavored.

I love fruit.

I put them all in my bag, except for the drink, and walk out of the door.

On the walk toward the boardwalk, I decide to play some music on my phone. I stop to pull out my earbuds from my bag and pug them into my phone, then sling my bag back onto my back. I put my music on, and the first song to play is "Elastic Heart" by Sia and The Weeknd. Even though I love the song, it makes me feel weird every time I hear it.

"Another one bites the dust."

I take a swing of my drink after back-pocketing my phone as the music plays.