Chapter 7: When You Are Needed

The looks Danny received back in the mansion were something worth memorising. Rem had alarmed the people around about his behaviour, and it caused enough of a stir. Phantom had expected that he would not avoid questioning. Shall he choose to play dumb, he would look suspicious. Shall he tell everything, Danny would be misunderstood. He was in a fairly lousy position, to put it into simpler terms. As he walked back to the mansion, Phantom encountered the two maids and Emilia. He did feel bad for worrying them... or maybe it wasn't worry. The half elf ran towards him the very moment she saw him.

"Danny! What happened?" She asked him.

Danny chuckled nervously, rubbing the back of his neck, "Well... I sensed someone who was familiar. I gave him a friendly greeting."

"That didn't look like a friendly reunion," commented Rem.

Phantom sighed, "Well... It's not like I told the guy where I am. The bastard tracked me down all the way from home and actually wanted for me to come back! I explained to him that this is not an option," he then bowed, "Forgive me for involving you guys in any way. I attacked him because up until now that's all he did. So I struck first. If you want... I will leave."

"That would be best," responded Ram bluntly.

"You didn't have to put it that way," Danny hissed through his somber expression.

"Ram, please," Emilia glanced at the maid and turned to the teen at fault for her worries, "Are you being chased, Danny? Is this why you ended up here?"

"Not exactly, no. I never thought I would have someone following me. Then again... I left without explaining anything."

"Why?"

"This is quickly turning into an interrogation," Danny complained. "I just thought that nobody would mind... and I was, once again, mistaken."

"Where is that person now?" Asked Rem.

"Left him in the forest. Are there any monsters? He is unable to move a limb."

"It is infested with demon beasts," the blue haired maid answered, pointing at a glowing gem on one of the trees, "This barrier keeps them away."

"Shit, that's bad. That's bad, right, Rem?"

"Yes, sir, very bad."

"Thank you, Rem."

"Of course, sir."

"I was just joking, for Christ's sake. I didn't know there were actual beasts!" Danny met Emilia's scolding gaze. "Skulker will be fine, we don't need to worry."

It's not like the beasts would like to eat through a piece of metal just to eat someone made of ectoplasm. If they didn't feed on mana, that is.

"Why? He will get eaten if he can't defend himself!"

"He is a spirit, Emilia. AND he is the size of a particularly large shrimp that is controlling a huge suit of armour. He is like a pistachio that has no cracks — too much bother for a meagre reward. I don't think the animals would actually do this."

"A...spirit?" Slowly repeated Emilia.

"Well, more like a ghost, but I'm not sure if he ever was alive. In short, there is absolutely no reason for us to go."

"Aren't you the one who nags and wants to help everyone?" Ram raised an eyebrow.

"You don't understand. I left properly and with style. Coming back like a kicked puppy would be embarrassing. What's more important, you guys never tried to skin me. He tried every Tuesday, occasionally he did it on Fridays..." Danny sighed, "Yeah, I kinda am an asshole for doing this, but I'm not apologising. That guy did the same thing once when I was fourteen. He cuffed me to a girl that actually wanted to murder me and dumped into the forest for him to hunt. All the while I had to watch for that goddamn sack of flour that was our baby."