Chapter 10: Farewells

Danny met the next morning whilst sitting on a chair, and the events of the last night rushed to him in a single torrent seconds after his awakening. The teen put a palm over his face, rubbing it in circular motions. From the gap between his fingers he saw that his bed was empty. Even when unconscious the maids woke up earlier than him. The conclusion made Phantom chuckle just a bit, but the amusement died off quickly. He lifted his shirt and, apart from the usual scars, there was nothing new. So nobody had stabbed him that night. Speaking of which, Phantom glanced over his shoulder and saw Meili sleeping on another chair, her head on the table and her hands tied behind her back. Of course, trying to kill him on the first night was stupid. Danny tried to recollect the memories of yesterday, after the threat was dealt with.

Upon returning to the village, he was inevitably praised and heralded as a hero. Meili posed a problem for the teen, for her outfit was strange and suspicious to a degree. So, before coming to the settlement openly, he sneakily left her at his house, and only then did he emerge from the forest path, greeted by a crowd of relieved villagers. It made the teen feel truly proud about what he did, but that was pride tamed and with reigns on it. Mostly, he was just relieved himself and concerned about what was going to come. The kids were unable to say thanks to him back then, for obvious reasons, but Danny made sure to check up on them and, once he saw that the curse was gone, he reassured the locals that they were going to be alright. It was the same face he made when he led them into the forest, the one that covered his own concerns, but it sufficed when calming those who now trusted him completely. He wasn't that fearful, just naturally worried. Eventually the amount of mana would get restored as long as they were alive, and that they were. When looking at their sleeping forms he got angry at Meili and his refusal to punish her in any way, but as long as she viewed the company of her sister's murderer as a punishment, he didn't see the need to complain. They would remain oblivious as to who their 'friend' really was. And until they left, she would have to play the part.

Emilia didn't know either. It was going to be his own secret about the serpent he was keeping on his stomach and carrying on his back. He still let the worried half-elf see the maids he had unceremoniously knocked out and politely carried to a better place. Rem and Ram were alright as far as he was concerned, but something was obviously weighing down on the girl. When asked, she responded simply:

"I'm so sorry for what happened."

"The suspicions you mean? It wasn't your fault, princess," Danny shrugged. "I don't really hold it against you or them."

"You don't?" She asked in surprise before seeing him rise from his chair.

"Well, to be honest, I am still sore about the whole thing. They broke my ribs."

"That's horrible," Emilia mumbled.

"I'm actually surprised that you didn't know about everyone's suspicions. All your reactions are too genuine, if you wonder why I believe you."

Silence settled down in the room for good ten seconds, all of which were spent by Emilia in attempts to come up with a proper answer.

"Nobody told me that," was her timid response, the result of all her pondering.

"I see. Emilia, you are in charge of your camp, you know that?"

"I know, but... I am not that experienced, so Roswaal does a lot of things."

"Roswaal did a stupid thing, then. You have to understand that everything that happens to those around you, what they do, is reflected on you, too. Because you are the candidate, not him. I am just an easy-going person who will punch the idiot in his grimed face and forget this whole incident. But if he happened to act this way towards someone influential and powerful, you would be done for."