Chapter 5: The Margrave

Emilia had very conflicting thoughts. She had had those for quite some time, ever since leaving the capital. Her contemplations had been stopped for a while, as she was sleeping through the night, but ever since waking up her mind had been only on the events of the last day — frantic, chaotic and unexpected. She was glad to have her insignia back, and her face was saved by a strange individual. He was truly an enigma to her. At first, after she got rid of the assumption of him being a street thug, she believed him to be a very odd person. She truly was not someone who judged people properly, but she felt that it wasn't just her this time. He was unpredictable, and she didn't know him well enough to understand what he was going to do next. But the initial impression was that of a joker who nonetheless could stand up for himself in a brawl, and was kind enough to help.

Then he turned out to be very accepting of her, despite everything. She didn't know if he really was like that, because he had shown many times that he was totally oblivious to what the world was like. So, whether it was ignorance or kindness, she did not know. But it wasn't possible for him not to know things that were so trivial. She was a silver-haired half-elf. She lied about her name being Satella — the very same that the Witch of Envy had. So many pointers were there, and still he had not batted an eyebrow. Either he knew that she was lying and still went through with it or he was just being ignorant. She wished to believe that it was the former to some extent, because it would mean that he still was that nice of a person.

That's why she felt bad for having him pay for her own mistake. She didn't know why he was doing so much, especially since he got so angry with the obstacle. So many unknowns made her feel blue.

"Are you still worried?"

Emilia perked up at hearing the voice of her ever-present spiritual companion. Puck lay on one of the planks that served as seats, his tiny cat form allowing for its wider use. The half-elf nodded and, when the uncomfortable silence caused by the spirit's desire to hear a more detailed answer, pressed hard, and she finally spoke for the first time in a while.

"He was arrested, Puck, and all he did was help us! It is unfair. And while he was there we still chose to run."

"It was necessary, Lia. There could be other assassins, and I wouldn't be there to help."

"Then why couldn't we stay with guards while in the capital?"

"That's what they would have liked us to do," the knight at the front seat explained, "At least, that's what captain said."

That still didn't make much sense to her, neither did it help to ease her conscience. Seeing her discomfort, Puck closed his eyes and sighed.

"He was quite destructive. And to be honest, when I saw the... other him, something inside me shrank. And I felt so glad that I was snug inside the crystal at the time, because there was nothing that made me more willing to remain there."

"Puck..." Emilia paused, staring at him in shock, "Were you... afraid of him?"

"To be frank, yes," Puck lowered his head in shame, "I don't know what made me feel this way, but it was just surreal. You understand that you are not supposed to fear something, but still do."

"I didn't feel anything like this, but he was, admittedly, scary."

Phantom was different when he assumed his ghostly persona. His power was so evident, from the very start he did nothing but cruelly mock his enemy. He did leave an impression of someone who could snap your neck if he so desired. It contrasted so much with who he seemed before, leaving a much greater impact. And what he accomplished in the end was only a cherry on top. It was clear why the guards wanted someone so potentially dangerous to be locked up. However, despite everything, Emilia firmly believed that he should not have been thrown behind bars. Maybe all they needed now was a conversation. She had much to understand, and she presumed that he was in a similar position, having similar needs.