Chapter 8

(Professor Inklings P.O.V.)

I paced around the library, debating whether or not to make a call that I knew I shouldn't make.

I wasn't worried about anyone entering the room, the only person who came in this late was Shellington, and he hardly remembered in the morning.

It was nearly one, but I knew the person I wanted to call wouldn't be asleep.

I looked at the end table placed next to my chair, and continued pacing.

I wanted nothing to do with whatever Grim had to offer, but knew he wasn't going to stop torturing Barnacles unless I ordered him too.

But even then I was unsure if he would listen to me.

I didn't truly have authority over him, everyone just believed I did. Grim would dig deeper just to prove that I really didn't have a say.

I gave an undertaking to his organization, not knowing what I was getting myself into.

It sounded like a good idea.
It was a home, a job, and a family. 

I started to rise up in 'ranking', and I started to see what they were all really doing.

Well, it was never really ranking. You just got promoted, and were allowed to control more.
The higher you were promoted, the more privileges you had, but you were less likely to be allowed to leave.

Not because they needed you, but because you knew too much.

I eventually realized that the whole place was made to hurt other people.
I tried to quit, but of course wasn't allowed to.

I learned that I had made a really grave mistake.

I somehow managed to go behind everyone's backs and plan out the octonauts.

I hoped I would be cut off from all of their horrible schemes by doing so, but not break their trust enough for them to kill me.

It was difficult, because I was being watched constantly.
But while I was trying to figure out a way to go through with it, Barnacles' father got into a fight with Grim's, and it was just another reason for them to go after us.

I knew Grim was specifically going after Barnacles; he was the direct descendant of his father.

That, and Barnacles was there when Grim's father died.

Everyone back at wherever Grim's H.Q. was knew that I had betrayed them, but they weren't worried about me.

They weren't even worried about Barnacles, but Grim was.

And in the end, Grim had enough power to make everyone follow his lead, even if they didn't agree with his belief system.

I could  join again if I wanted to, but if I tried to get them to stop being homicidal maniacs to people all over the world, they would kill me on the spot.

I was afraid they would kill all of us if I didn't work something out soon.

I would have to live with the fact that I had allowed Barnacles to be captured and beaten for two months straight, and maybe signed away the lives of the rest of my crew.

It made my stomach ache every time I thought about it. I pulled my hands into fist and folded my arms.

I wanted to yell at Grim, but knew I would likely get myself and others into even more trouble.

I walked even closer to my phone which was still sitting untouched on the end table.

I knew I wasn't going to be able to help myself if I got any closer, so I stopped, just staring.