VIII

(Rody's POV)

Her words rang in my ears like Christmas bells. Thank you, for bringing me light. I couldn't understand how I could've done something like that, yet she still said it, her head on my shoulder and my arm wrapped around her.

"You're welcome, cutie~" That nickname slipped from my lips and I hadn't even intended it. She looked up at me, a flush of red across her face.

"Did you just-"

"Yeah, I guess I did. Ha..." I laughed, sweating a bit out of embarrassment. "It kinda slipped, ya know?"

She laughed. "Yeah." She rose from where she sat. "Well, we better get moving. The night will arrive very soon and we don't have a place to stay other than the truck again."

I nodded, afraid I may have made things awkward between us. "Yeah. I'll drive." I said, hopping into the driver's seat again. Y/n sat beside me again with Deku beside her.

We drove for another hour, being met by dusk and an abandoned barn in the hillside. I parked the truck and we made camp. Deku's bandages needed replenishing, so I helped him.

"Dang, I can't get over how useful your quirk is," I told him.

"What about you? Do you have a quirk? I've been wondering." He asked. Y/n came to my side, seeming to be intrigued with an adorable wonder-filled expression.

"I-I don't want to talk about it." I deadpanned.

Deku got quiet, "Oh, sorry."

I felt bad, rethinking things. I trust them enough, don't I? "You won't laugh, will you?" I asked bashfully.

Deku turned, seeming very stiff and serious. "I promise!"

"Really?"

"No, I swear it!"

I turned to y/n and she smiled and nodded. I got bashful.

"Okay, it's kinda weird..."

(Y/N's POV)

"I'm sure it isn't weird," I told him. "What is it?"

"Ha, well, you may think I'm kidding, but it's Pino." Pino acted bashful, hiding her small face in her wings, turning away in embarrassment. "See, her actions show my true intentions."

"Really?!" Deku and I say in unison.

"No matter how good I am at lying, Pino always gives away how I truly feel." He said, a hint of blush brushing across his face. "Honestly, it's not much of a quirk."

"Oh, I wouldn't say that," Deku added. "Not being able to lie? I think that's pretty amazing." I nodded. Then, Pino jumped onto my head, creating a nest within my hair.

"So, every time Pino would nuzzle me, what did that mean?" I asked, curious with my heart beginning to beat hard. I was beginning to think that it meant something that I hoped was true. Does he really like me? Was that nickname something he truly meant? Do you like me? I wondered as heat rose to my cheeks.

"Well..." He grew quiet and bashful, as did Pino on my head. "I just really care for you...my friend." My heart dropped.

"Oh, yeah," I said, trying not to sound as disappointed as I was. "You're an awesome friend!" My tone cheered back up. He smiled so sweetly at me. That smile is priceless...could I ever enjoy it after this fiasco is over? Wait, I'm thinking way ahead! What's going on with me!? I'm like a girl fangirling over her crush...wait...do I really have a crush on him? Oh! So many questions!!! I screamed in my mind, almost zoning out.