Chapter 1: Angel's Share

Chest grinding on chest, fists at the ready, I glare at Pure Vanilla Cookie. His eyes are covered with a cascade of white lashes, sort of iridescent; one a golden milky way and the other a mystic ocean. I wonder what he sees when he looks at mine - a ragged heirloom eyepatch, and the aura of familial disappointment washed across my remaining eye. And then, he speaks.

"What would dear Papa Alberich think of this?"

I ignore the lull of his silky, sweet voice and focus on the task at hand.

"You don't get to speak about him that way," I rasp, pushing back on him and clenching our interlocked fingers. If only for a minute I pause; confused at the almost gentle way his crumb thumb caresses my knuckle, leaving caramel morsels to fall at my feet. Thankfully, my thoughts are interrupted.

"You knights are always leaving me to clean up your messes," my brother comments as he sweeps up a shattered nearby pitcher, "Vanilla. Come to the back and I'll get you cleaned up."

'Vanilla? Since when did they get so close as to be on a first-name basis?' The thought crosses my mind briefly before noticing that a splash of wolfhook juice has made its way onto Pure Vanilla's skirt and I blush a little in embarrassment, until I realise my own trousers are completely soaked at the hem.

"Hey- my trou-" I interject, but they're already gone. I sink into my barstool, which itself is drenched in the ominous purple liquid, and I become aware of the gathering of empty goblets, almost huddling together like penguins.

'Wow. Maybe I am drunk.' That must explain the airless feeling in my gut; how light-headed I am; and worst of all, the deep red rosiness which is plaguing my cheeks and ears.

The door hinge squeaks, alerting me of their return, and I stand alert as if nothing happened. I want him to apologise, I want him to pay me back for my ruined uniform-

Instead, only Diluc emerges from the wine cellar. I watch him in astonishment as he resumes polishing glasses in a blasé manner.

"What was that?" I demand an answer, with slurred words.

"What was what? I handled a dispute."

"It wasn't your business."

"You're in my tavern. You're drunk. For Barbatos' sake you're starting fights with strangers and staggering around like you own the place!"

"He's not a -"

"It's a wonder I let you stay here. You're lucky you're my brother, you know - if this happened in the Cat's Tail your Knighthood would get revoked."

"Diluc-"

"I'm not done. He's a business partner. How do you think I'm going to win him over now?"

I'm stunned. He's right, but I don't know how it got this bad in the first place. There's a part of me that is ashamed, appalled, that I treated Pure Vanilla that way - but when I see him, my brain is overwhelmed with the same rage that I have known for years. I want to say something, but in that moment, I turn on my heels and stumble out of the door.