Chapter 3: Pure Vanilla's Perspective

"So, can we agree on increasing stocks for dandelion wine this month?"

"Hmm? Uh- Yeah..." I am stolen away from my daydream by the crunch of charcoal between my fingers.

Dammit, what's wrong with me recently? There's a reason Diluc chose me as his partner - I have a sharp eye for details, especially during business transactions.

"Look, we can take a break. Vanilla.. I know it's not my business to ask - but - is something the matter?" Diluc rests his hand on my back tenderly and I shrink away from it.

"No. I mean- uh... No, it's fine. I promise. I'll be back to normal soon."

He retracts his hand and holds it sheepishly to his chest, looking down as he fiddles with his signet ring. And then, he looks directly into my eyes. I try not to cower away from his fiery gaze but it's scorching.

"Just remember our contract."

With that, he slips his glove back on and heads upstairs.

That was weird. That was so weird.

Diluc was never the touchy type. Ever since I met him when he was 17, he has always resisted even a simple handshake.

Am I really giving him reason to worry?

No, that's not it, back when everything happened with him and Kaeya and... Crepus, he still refused contact. At his worst point - at my worst point - he'd always run. I look down at the charcoal tainted page of our calculations and feel the ghost of his hand running down my spine.

God, I would have given anything for this to happen a year ago. Why do I keep thinking about the other night with Kaeya? F*ck.